Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
O2 By far!
rae
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
even on contract on virgin you only pay for the calls and texts you make/send, which is great when your phones not permanently attached to your ear! "Line rental?," they say, "what exactly is it that youre renting?" Plus 3p texts to other virgins (so to speak). the only problem can be taking it abroad (if you're not on contract) as cover is pretty crap at the moment, and its not always got a great signal. customer service is good too.
Percy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by Daveo)
O2 By far!
Well they are Arsenal's sponsors so thats a very black mark against their name.
phreek
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Percy)
Well they are Arsenal's sponsors so thats a very black mark against their name.
Oh God, they're not are they? I don't wanna have to change networks again!
Custard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Vodafone eats your money, its really quite annoying because everytime i ring someone i'm shocked to find a random lady on the other end telling me to but more credit when you just got a tenner a day before!!
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
From a corporate point of view, it's Vodafone handsdown. They are one of the most successful blue chips in UK history. They, along with O2, are the oldest networks and have been pioneers in the technology.

They are also the one of the only 'real' networks not to have been taken over by another company and undergone a name change.

And what network am I on? O2!

J.
amexblack
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
O2 are f***ing awful. Their customer service department are bloody useless. I was on their O2 max contract, their best personal tariff, and regularly had 4 digit phone bills. Well, my (new) 7250i got nicked. Fair enough i thought - new phone, should come with insurance (like Orange). I rang up and was told it wasn't insured. Well, I figured since I send them so much money each month, they should be running to get me back phoning as quick as possible. No matter how much I argued, they only offered an 8310 (without battery, and refurbished ... what a cheek!!). So I paid off the rest of my contract, got my PAC code and switched to Three. I'm sure I was in the top 1% of their personal customers, yet they treated me like **** - and lost a whole lot of money.

Now, I don't _love_ three. But they're a whole lot cheaper than O2 (12.50 a month for 500 anytime, any network minutes!!), and if you get the right call center (it will either put u thru to india, or scotland ... scotland's is good. india's is awful) their customer service is friendly and helpful. The 3 Sim works in my T630 (but beware, their sims work in only a few 2G handsets - wont work in most new nokias). The video calls are actually cool, but not really practical if you're walking - but great on a train or at home. Video downloads are good (dont judge by those stupid clips on the tv). Now im just waiting for them to allow data calls so I can surf the internet at highspeed on the move (for some reason the UK 3 hasn't enabled that yet). There are a wide variety of handsets -- some are approaching the size of some 2G handsets even. The reception is good for voice, only really london for video though.
Daveo
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I dont see vodofone offering 500msgs a month, 500mins a month offpeak and 50 mins to any mobile a month! All for just £20.
And a phone if u get a free 1.
kikzen
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by rae)
even on contract on virgin you only pay for the calls and texts you make/send, which is great when your phones not permanently attached to your ear! "Line rental?," they say, "what exactly is it that youre renting?" Plus 3p texts to other virgins (so to speak). the only problem can be taking it abroad (if you're not on contract) as cover is pretty crap at the moment, and its not always got a great signal. customer service is good too.
hear hear.
amexblack
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by rae)
the only problem can be taking it abroad (if you're not on contract) as cover is pretty crap at the moment, and its not always got a great signal. customer service is good too.
As Virgin uses the T-Mobile network, surely if you go abroad you are free to roam on whatever network you like? I don't understand how virgin's foreign reception can be any worse than any other network's. When you go abroad, find the "Network Selection" option and switch it to Manual and then switch to another network, you should find that you can switch to any network even if its not your home network. It may be a problem with your phone being inefficient in finding the best reception in the area.
amexblack
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Daveo)
I dont see vodofone offering 500msgs a month, 500mins a month offpeak and 50 mins to any mobile a month! All for just £20.
And a phone if u get a free 1.
u think that's good?
500 any time minutes to _any_ network for only £12.50 a month.
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by amexblack)
As Virgin uses the T-Mobile network, surely if you go abroad you are free to roam on whatever network you like? I don't understand how virgin's foreign reception can be any worse than any other network's. When you go abroad, find the "Network Selection" option and switch it to Manual and then switch to another network, you should find that you can switch to any network even if its not your home network. It may be a problem with your phone being inefficient in finding the best reception in the area.
T-mobile's reception is widely regarded as the worst of the Big Four's. They, along with Orange, use a slightly inferior frequency to Vodafone and O2.

J.
amexblack
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by hornblower)
T-mobile's reception is widely regarded as the worst of the Big Four's. They, along with Orange, use a slightly inferior frequency to Vodafone and O2.

J.
I realise this (although the inferior frequency doesn't affect coverage, but may cause worse reception indoors), but rae was complaining about poor coverage abroad. And when you roam to a different network abroad, unless you have an ancient phone you can choose either of the two bands (900mhz and 1800mhz).
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
o2...ive been on vodaphone and they ate my money and orange treated me awful...

love Katy***
4Ed
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
orange are awful, their service is crap, the reception where i went to school was lousy, AND their pay-as-you-go is overpriced compared to rival companies.... however i'm still on them cuz the whole family is, and it's too much of a hassle to change...
Daveo
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 4Ed)
orange are awful, their service is crap, the reception where i went to school was lousy, AND their pay-as-you-go is overpriced compared to rival companies.... however i'm still on them cuz the whole family is, and it's too much of a hassle to change...
Its people like you who dont neccesitate change! CHANGE! Make the world a better place.
amexblack
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Daveo)
Its people like you who dont neccesitate change! CHANGE! Make the world a better place.
absolutely. otherwise they'll never learn. but paying your remaining contract off, and then having to get oftel involved just to get my friggin PAC can sometimes make change a little difficult (my situation with O2)
a_musical_guy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm glad that Virgin isn't in the lead. They are the best network by far, and the fewer people who know about their excellence, the better the network will stay.
munchie_rox
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by hornblower)

J.
its widely regarded from the public, t-mobile has 99.0% coverage, compared to only 96% for O2, and 97% for Vodafone. I would say orange andt-mobile are on a par, but orange r more expensive...virgin is cool too, but O2 have ****e customer service, and also have serious handset problems.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (150)
60.73%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.45%
No- I want it (69)
27.94%
No- I don't want it (17)
6.88%

Watched Threads