Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Housemate trouble Watch

Announcements

I moved into a house this year from halls. I live with 2 girls now, neither of whom I lived with in halls ...

I really like them as friends, but one of them is really hard to live with ...

She is a super neat freak!! Everything has to be soo tidy ... and HER way. My room also doubles up as a living room when we need it (most of the time we can use the kitchen as a communal space but its nice if we're having a sit down dinner or friends over), but if she thinks its too messy, she'll tidy/ clean it! For example, I was ill this week, and the first day I was well enough to drag myself to my waitressing job, she took the oppotunity to clean my room!

I can't stand it, and I have told her this, and she refuses (to my face) to stop! I really don't know what to do, I feel like I have no personal space - this is my only home, my parents don't live in England.

Any advice welcome!

Also, if you're wondering - it's not massively untidy or dirty usually either, just maybe a pile of washing in the corner and a couple of mugs and some lecture notes. I feel like I can't do stuff in my own room because I'll have to tidy it up for her.

ReputationRep:
    Tell her, and if you can, lock your room. Tell him if she doesn't go into your room, she won't see the mess.

ReputationRep:
    Women...

ReputationRep:
    fair enough if she wants to keep the kitchen clean but she has no right to dictate to you how your own bedroom should be... you're paying your bit of the rent so it belongs to you. have you tried telling her how bad her cleaning is affecting you? she probably doesn't realise it's actually upsetting.

ReputationRep:
    Piss over everything to mark your territory

I have no lock on my door ....

I have told her!! And I was obviously upset by it when I did, so I think she must know, but I think she expects me to be GRATEFUL for her doing it!

When I asked her to stop, she said, "If you don't want me to tidy it, don't leave it in a mess." !!!

I don't want to have a massive row, but I'm getting to the stage where I don't like living here. I actually spend more time at my friends houses than at home. =(

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 19, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.