Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

when using touch screen phones, during a call, does your ear/cheek press buttons? Watch

ReputationRep:
    hello,

im contemplating getting an htc desire. Ive never used touch screen before, but i imagine when making a call, you'd have to be careful to hold it away from your face to avoid your ear/face 'pressing' ie touching buttons on it.

is this a valid concern?? does this occur with touch screen phones??

thanks

ReputationRep:
    I dont do it, but my mother always cuts me off or puts it on mute.

ReputationRep:
    Not unless you have phalange like ears.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    The Desire has a proximity sensor so when you put it on your face the screen goes off automatically, then when you remove it the screen comes back on.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Most decent touch-screen phones have some kind of proximity sensor which turns off the screen when it's close to your head.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the phone.

Samsung Tocco - Yes, all the bloody time. It'd send messages to random people on my contacts list too.
    LG Renoir - Never.
    Sony Ericsson Vivaz - Hardly ever.
    Samsung Galaxy S - Mostly fine, but if I'm fidgeting a lot then it puts the person on hold or sometimes hangs up

ReputationRep:
    I do it with my normal phone.

*hang up*
    *ring back*
    Them: Errr what was that?
    Me: Sorry - pressed buttons with my head again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    The Desire has a proximity sensor so when you put it on your face the screen goes off automatically, then when you remove it the screen comes back on.
    This.
    Most high end smart phones have one.

ReputationRep:
    I've never managed to cut myself off using a touch screen phone.

ReputationRep:
    As already said, most have a sensor which turns the screen off when you are holding it to your face.
    Although I have managed to press buttons on my iPhone 4 as it was a little buggy when it was released. They fixed it in an update, but I haven't downloaded it as I want to stay jailbroken.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 19, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.