Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I'm hoping to go into uni in September 2011 and I'm kind of scared about how I'm going to finance it.
    Looking at the Student Calculator, I'm going to get £2906 and £3497 a year off the government and £1000 off the university.
    If my accommodation was £75 - £90 a week on a 40 week let, would I still have enough money left per week to get me food, books and the odd night out?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Well, worst case scenario your accomodation is £3,600 for a 40 week let. You have £3,803 a year left to fund everything else, which works out at £316 a month, or £79 a week. Do you think you can live off £79 a week?

ReputationRep:
    Wow they starting early this year. You will have enough, in fact you will be comfortable.

Edit: Just seen your UCAS choices, this saddens me, SERIOUSLY, you want to do business and you cant calculate a simple amount of money, FML.

Part time job, is not rocket science.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by lazy smurf)
      Wow they starting early this year. You will have enough, in fact you will be comfortable.

Edit: Just seen your UCAS choices, this saddens me, SERIOUSLY, you want to do business and you cant calculate a simple amount of money, FML.
      Just noticed this too. What a pity.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by lazy smurf)

(Original post by TravelGuru)
      Just noticed this too. What a pity.
      Woah, woah easy with the hating....obviously I worked things out before I came on here, but I just wanted to know if in practice the budget still extends well.

Jesus Christ, excuse me for being thorough

ReputationRep:
      Well, worst case scenario your accomodation is £3,600 for a 40 week let. You have £3,803 a year left to fund everything else, which works out at £316 a month, or £79 a week. Do you think you can live off £79 a week?
      Well I would say thats totally do-able considering I live off £79 a week and my rent is £50 of that....so actually I live off £29 to pay for shopping and bills etc....

ReputationRep:
      Wow. I spend £80 a week on food alone.
      What the hell are you buying?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by SPMS)
      Typical TSRian - what kind of food, as that seems rather excessive.
      Oh I'm glad you think so, as I haven't been around that long. Just the normal, vegetables, fresh meat, biscuits, drink (not alcaholic) etc. This is for myself and my partner, not just me I should point out.

ReputationRep:
      Oh I'm glad you think so, as I haven't been around that long. Just the normal, vegetables, fresh meat, biscuits, drink (not alcaholic) etc. This is for myself and my partner, not just me I should point out.
      To be fair £80 still seems like a lot for 2 people - Ours seems to vary week on week but it averages about £35/£40 for two of us, including a bottle of wine

ReputationRep:
      That does clear things up.

alcoholic*

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by SPMS)
      That does clear things up.

alcoholic*

Do you think that is still a lot?

ReputationRep:
      Hey, Try going on direct gov website and finding out how much money you will get from loans and grantts etc. Many uni's publish thier own budget calacuator and you can find out how much accodmation is and work these into the spreadsheet to work out how much money you will have to play with.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by GeoMyles)
      Hey, Try going on direct gov website and finding out how much money you will get from loans and grantts etc. Many uni's publish thier own budget calacuator and you can find out how much accodmation is and work these into the spreadsheet to work out how much money you will have to play with.
      Don't go for a loan. As it is difficult to pay the debt after that.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Wystan)
      Don't go for a loan. As it is difficult to pay the debt after that.
      What would you suggest they use then. Prehaps a grant which won't cover all your expenses or how about maybe personal savings assuming they have thousands stashed away in the bank?

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.