Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Right guys, I could use some help

Looking for a stand alone external hard-drive to store my songs and movies on that I have downloaded off iTunes.
    The Hard-drive must be at least 1TB but 2 or 3TB would be better.

As I'm at university halls, they do not allow routers or any form of sharing your internet connection between multiple devices.

I need a hard-drive that can create it's own wireless network without an ethernet cable so me and my flat mates can watch/listen to the movies and music on that drive. (I will transfer all the files from my laptop so would prefer USB 3.0)

I also need it to be password encrypted and Easy to use & Easy to set up.
    Price is not a factor but it does need to look nice.

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rusty360)
    Right guys, I could use some help

Looking for a stand alone external hard-drive to store my songs and movies on that I have downloaded off iTunes.
    The Hard-drive must be at least 1TB but 2 or 3TB would be better.

As I'm at university halls, they do not allow routers or any form of sharing your internet connection between multiple devices.

I need a hard-drive that can create it's own wireless network without an ethernet cable so me and my flat mates can watch/listen to the movies and music on that drive. (I will transfer all the files from my laptop so would prefer USB 3.0)

I also need it to be password encrypted and Easy to use & Easy to set up.
    Price is not a factor but it does need to look nice.

Thanks in advance
    As far as I know, no such thing exists. I may be wrong (feel free to correct me if I am), but I have never seen an external hard drive that acts as a wireless NAS.

ReputationRep:
    If you want 3TB you're probably looking at a NAS device rather than just a disk enclosure. I believe some Nas's can be used over wireless however you might have to buy the right sort of wireless adapter.

In terms of a wireless network it's likely you may only be able to get an ad-hoc network setup. If you've got several people trying to stream movies you'll probably find it doesn't work that well as there won't be enough bandwidth.

In terms of disks I'd recommend using Raid 5. This requires at least three drives and gives you the capacity of all drives except 1. One drive is used to parity information meaning if one drive fails you don't loose anything. You could achieve the 3TB by using 4x 1TB drives.

Best capacity is reached through raid0 but if any drive fails you loose all data.

ReputationRep:
    an ad hoc set up suits me fine, as long as I can access it from a laptop.
    any ideas which drives to go for?

ReputationRep:
    Just get an old ADSL router and plug a NAS into that. You can connect by wired to the Halls network and wireless to the Router/NAS.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 21, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.