Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Biking in London - suicidal or what? please help :) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I'm attending LSE next September as a postgrad and I had a question about biking in London. I'm asking because most postgrad halls are quite far away from the campus and biking would save money and a headache (I've visited London before and found the tube a bit...unpredictable ><). So, is biking a viable option for travelling around Central London? Eg. if my hall was located near Paddington Station and I wanted to bike to LSE which is near Holborn station.

Is it common to bike around? Or are the streets crazy with traffic and biking's just plain suicidal?

Any info would be great, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Well if you really have too...just dont go during rush hour!

ReputationRep:
    I cycle in London city centre a lot and I think it's fine. Loads of people cycle so motorists are used to dealing with them so that makes it easier.

ReputationRep:
    it is fine

ReputationRep:
    At off-peak times its not so bad....the only worry is when cars try to overtake eachother or change lanes quickly, they don't always see cyclists! But....it's not as bad as you would think

ReputationRep:
    thanks guys! is there a cycling map available anywhere online? the only thing i found was the barclays highway routes which aren't really relevant since those are for people coming outside of london.
    thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    Just be careful during rush hour.

ReputationRep:
    just make sure you know how to cycle and prepare to deal with the traffic
    at work, so many cyclists complain "oh cycling in london is terrible, drivers are so impatient" im just thinking, no, ive seen you cycle your are just a stupidly slow, clumsy, easily overwhelmed cyclist

ReputationRep:
    lol thanks. i thought barclays was developing some bike lanes or something?

ReputationRep:
    watch out for crazed bus drivers ha

ReputationRep:
    Its not too bad...just be careful and make sure your bikes all kitted out with lights etc and make sure you wear a helmet

ReputationRep:
    thanks guys!

ReputationRep:
    People do it all the time. It's not that suicidal, cars in the centre are generally careful. I don't know how I've never hit a cyclist before.

If ever you venture into rough areas such as East London, do be careful. There are so many dangerous drivers on the road. I've been left frightened by many wannabe rude boys who drive cars with darkened windows. Worse I would have been in the car, what more for the cyclist.

ReputationRep:
    Wear a helmet.

And beware of cycling at night time, especially in 'rough areas'.

It should be fine, especially if you're used to cycling. Just watch out for stupid drivers, which unfortunatly tend to spawn around the capital.

ReputationRep:
    Also, make sure you aren't a douchebag. If a traffic light is red, you stop for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crystal.chan)
    thanks guys! is there a cycling map available anywhere online? the only thing i found was the barclays highway routes which aren't really relevant since those are for people coming outside of london.
    thanks again!
    This should answer a lot of your questions regarding cycling
    http://www.lcc.org.uk/index.asp?PageID=37
    Some excellent tips on that site too! You can also order a bike route map.

ReputationRep:
    Hey thank you guys so much! and thanks Jack06 for that excellent link. You've all been very helpful!

ReputationRep:
    Glad I could help.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.