Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Potential row over xmas tree... Watch

A pair of my housemates bought a tree the other week, without me saying I wanted one or I'd contribute to one. The rest of my housemates then had a mulled wine & decorate tree sesh which I completely missed because I was an hour later than I thought I would be out of a meeting, and no one said that they were doing this at 5pm sharp, just 'this evening'. I got a text asking for a fifth of the money towards the tree later, which I ignored as I hadn't wanted it, bought it, or decorated it. To top this off, the one who paid for it on her card took it to her boyfriends the other day to stay over xmas as he hasn't got a tree! I got two texts off her today though asking for the money towards it, throwing in a guilt trip about needing the money to be able to buy her mum's xmas present. it's not a large amount of money, but I'm struggling too this time of year and don't feel I should just be assumed to be paying for things that other people want!

Thoughts? Bear in mind this is my favourite of all my housemates... :/

ReputationRep:
    How much is your share? If it's less than, say, £50, it really isn't worth the hassle. People have long memories and a small thing like not chipping in (even though you're fully right to not want to have to pay it) is something that can make things awkward. I'd just pay it and say something like 'next time, could you please ask me beforehand because money's a bit tight etc.' Really sucky of them to do that to you though.

ReputationRep:
    Tell her to sod off, just say what you said in this post.

ReputationRep:
    Just tell her what you put here, perfectly reasonable. If that doesnt work then show her she's in the wrong by emphasising how she went and bought it without checking that you actually wanted it. And maybe throw in some indignation about it being taken for xmas, I mean thats when it should be around for!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 19, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.