Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

To all your dubstep haters Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    It's not all about "filthy" mid range wobble.

That goes for the kids who think it's "coo"l because it is too.

There's some very nice chilled dubstep out there; I think people should listen to more to get out of that "OMG fil teh wobblez" idealogy.

eg:

ReputationRep:
    Ok... ? :p:

It's quite slow and repetitive to start off with but gets quite good after 3:00

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fabtastic)
    Ok... ? :p:

It's quite slow and repetitive to start off but it's quite good after 3:00
    I just used that as an example. I'll find more examples.

ReputationRep:

Is more 2step/garage

but on a more dubstep side of things:

ReputationRep:
    We don't hate Dubstep due to the ' "filthy" mid range wobble'. Poor lyrics and instrumentally weak songs accomplish our hate.

ReputationRep:
    There are much better chilled dubstep songs than these. Check out Plastician, Subscape, Burial and artists like that.

This is one of my favs...

ReputationRep:
    OMDZZZZZZ Wait for da drop!!

ReputationRep:
    I don't have any dubstep haters

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeanK22)
    We don't hate Dubstep due to the ' "filthy" mid range wobble'. Poor lyrics and instrumentally weak songs accomplish our hate.
    This-actually, for me, it's mostly the breathtakingly poor lyrics.

ReputationRep:
    You are very close minded when it comes to music if you think music requires lyrics and real life instruments fair play.

Listen to Burial, James Blake, Distance. Critically acclaimed highly talented artists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gob Bluth)
    You are very close minded when it comes to music if you think music requires lyrics and real life instruments fair play.

Listen to Burial, James Blake, Distance. Critically acclaimed highly talented artists.
    Nah. Just think you should have some talent when music is concerned.

To hammer hit home, maeximo park, mc fly, the kooks, et. al. use real instruments but are not talented musicians or lyricists so are just as bad.

Cheers for the suggestions will look at them, I have nothing against non instrumental pieces and am certainly not closed minded - listened from Chopin, Bach, Django Reinhardt, Oscar Peterson, the Beatles to Metallica, Carl Barat, Electric six and Kings of Leon and a lot in the middle - even had a quite a large rap library when in high school.

So about 280 years spanning several genres.

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, dubstep is the flavour of the month at the moment, so every chav and his granny is raving about how filthy the drops are in Nero's latest song. Even the most hardcore of dubstep fans have to admit that the vast majority of the stuff out there at the moment is absolute horse sh*t, it just contains a 1 minute muted intro with a harrowing high pitched voice in the background, then comes the bass drop, rinse and repeat. You'll have youtube viewers all over the country proclaiming 'MAN THAT BEAT IS DIRTIER THAN MY INTERNET HISTORRYYYYY!!!'.

However, the best dubstep producers are moving away from the dubstep, going back to the garage and two step era and taking it in another direction. You've posted some of those songs already, some of those tunes are amazing, and this new direction is really exciting. Hot Flush are the perfect example of this, the label has some sick dubstep crossover producers on it like Mount Kimbie, Sepalcure, Joy Orbison, Pangaea, etc. There's James Blake who's getting huge publicity. And of course, one of the best producers of all time, Burial, who's been making 'non filthy' dubsteppy tunes for years.

ReputationRep:
    I've gotta check James Blake out sometime.

But yeah, Panagea-Router is widely regarded to be one of the best dubstep tracks about and I'd put it up there.

Anything from Hessle Audio, Deep Medi and the aforementioned Hot Flush (though admittedly not looked too much into these)

ReputationRep:
    Nah. Just think you should have some talent when music is concerned.

To hammer hit home, maeximo park, mc fly, the kooks, et. al. use real instruments but are not talented musicians or lyricists so are just as bad.

Cheers for the suggestions will look at them, I have nothing against non instrumental pieces and am certainly not closed minded - listened from Chopin, Bach, Django Reinhardt, Oscar Peterson, the Beatles to Metallica, Carl Barat, Electric six and Kings of Leon and a lot in the middle - even had a quite a large rap library when in high school.

So about 280 years spanning several genres.
    Well i agree that talent is a key benefactor. And generally artists lacking in talent will sound rubbish. I listen to a large amount of electronic music and just about all of it is of very high talent.

For the record, Maximo Park are talented, though i wouldn't say i'm into that type of music these days. Ultimately the perfection of how the drums, guitar were played were done in the 70s. I don't think anyone will ever be better in their fields as Bonham or Clapton. And Dylan is never going to not be regarded as one of the best lyricists ever. But that's just one genre end of the day. Many many more.

ReputationRep:
    Well considering the majority of lyrics are sampled from exisitng songs you're also calling them poor. And by instrumentally weak, how do you mean? It's a lot harder to work with software instruments compared to hardware imo.

ReputationRep:
    Still rubbish
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    The song in the OP is actually quite relaxing and I am a 'dubstep hater'. :p: I couldn't listen to it as music though - it seems more background music or something like that. I usually listen to songs for the lyrics (and a catchy tune) and unfortunately dubstep seems to have neither.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    Still rubbish
    Then you're a bigot, with no taste in decent music. How can you call the track I've linked as rubbish, even if you're not a dubstep fan you'd still like them. I know it's about subjectivity, miusical taste, but they're so good it's hard to argue with their production quality and emotion they capture, let alone call them rubbish. Idiot.

ReputationRep:
    If you've got good speakers/ headphones this will sound amazing. Otherwise don't bother, you won't get the spacey sound you need.

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind good dubstep. What I hate is the stuff they play in a club, where they take a song which usually has a fast beat, and throw in a *burrburrburrburrburrBUUUUURRRR. ..burrburrburrburrburrBUUUUURRRR ...* behind it.

Looking round and seeing everyone dance like zombies to a song that sounds like the speakers are breaking does not give me a good vibe..

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.