Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    We were given the option of doing a recreative writing piece for our English Literature AS level, but unfortunately our teacher gave us a past example and then seldom gave us any help. I was wondering if anybody had done this and could offer me any help, or had done the AS in general and knew what was required of the coursework and how to score good marks in it. Please help me because the last piece of work I did I spent absolutely ages on and I ended up getting a grade C so I would appreciate it if you could tell me what is needed for me to get a grade A on this piece of work. I told my girlfriend we were doing this and she said, "Yeah, well we're doing proper questions" so I am very determined to stick it to her.

Here's my coursework. I'm Blanche DuBois' psychiatrist after she's been institutionalised in Tennessee Williams' "A Streetcar Named Desire". This is it so far - it's not finished.

n the fall of 1948 I was requested by a colleague, Dr. Walter Howe, to review a tense young lady called Blanche Dubois. Blanche DuBois has been here for one week and, although she has adopted an almost incorporeal manner and seems practically dead, has nevertheless manipulated some of the patients in the sanatorium and Mr. Darren Grey, a patient suffering from melancholy caused by the death of his mother, seems to have taken an extreme liking to her. Blanche’s records indicated that she has encountered a number of traumatic events in her life, the most significant of which seemed to be the death of her husband Allen Grey, financial circumstances including the tragedy of her old estate “Belle Reve” which was seized by creditors, and she has fallen victim of and disgrace caused by her much-documented affair with a 17-year old student at the prestigious and old-fashioned Isidore Newman School. These may be factors contributing to Blanche’s depreciating mental condition, having recently suffered a nervous breakdown. She appears to be physically and pathologically normal, and she, others and her scarce medical records indicated no physical symptoms or abnormalities

Some of the institutions that she worked at have described her as being “compulsively mendacious” in terms of her relationship with others; her teaching manner, although helpful, was said to be recondite, jittery and disengaging. She was also noted as being sexually compulsive and suggestive by the same colleagues, an attribute which resulted in her firing and was known to have somewhat of an alcohol dependency, although the perceived extent of this was variable. This truth was hard for me to accept. She has long been noted by her sister and brother-in-law at her temporary residence of Elysian Fields as being departed from reality and incoherent, elements that seemed to them to have been exacerbated in the last two months, and her sister Stella had remarked that she had an insensitive and jejune conversational manner. Walter Howe noted that she seemed to be recalling the sexual intercourse she had had with strangers, affirming that she had, “always depended on the kindness of strangers”, a remark which I perhaps thought made her seem like an abandoned child and having a dissociative mind, in contrast with his more cynical view. I later learned that this remark may be a reference to the aristocratic figures that she thinks intend to save her.

Upon conversing to Blanche, it became clear that she seemed to think that she was in some kind of Plantation House era and that she was some kind of figure from the Old South, values which seem to have been entirely destroyed. She referred to me discursively on at least three occasions as “Shep Huntleigh”, a “beautiful beau who I will share the last ounce of my soul with.” I frequently reminded her that I was not this man, but the fact that I was seemed too cogent an observation to convince her otherwise. She told me of the “fun that we will have” and how we will have a “life of luxury and ease; we will be truly alive and that all the values of hope and prosperity will be long-preserved.” She added that I was, “Touching and warm-hearted on the phone: you rekindled my every hope, you glorious dandy. There is always room to spare in your inviting heart.” It seemed to me as if this delusion, perhaps one of a grandiose nature, was a response to her financial difficulties and the frequent disturbance they had provoked, and she seems to be unaware of the social changes that have occurred across New Orleans.

I was wondering if you could tell me what the ideal word length is, how you score good marks in this and how on earth I use imagery and semantic fields in supposedly a work of professional capacity. I was also wondering how you would approach this task.

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    cba to read your piece, but I think it's supposed to be 1000 words, with approximately 400 writing, and 600 analysis.

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't post your coursework online.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acerbic)
    cba to read your piece, but I think it's supposed to be 1000 words, with approximately 400 writing, and 600 analysis.
    That's all I was asking pretty much, thanks a lot.

Balls to posting your coursework online. I'll delete this thread when it's expired its usage. Nobody is going to steal it anyway, and if they do I have proof that I wrote it.

ReputationRep:
    Hi I just found this post almost two years on from when you were doing this! I am studying AS English Literature now and we have this option for our coursework too. How did this go? What grade did you get, if you don't mind me asking? My teacher has told us that we need to have 400-500 words of creative writing and 800 - 1000 words of commentary. I've just done a practice one on Beatrice from Much Ado About Nothing but I think I may have done it all wrong!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.