Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are Conservatives now the gay friendly party? Watch

ReputationRep:
    This week as Nigel Evans MP, former Tory shadow minister and now deputy speaker, "comes out" as gay making over half the openly LGBT MPs Conservative - a Labour candidate is charged with homophobic harassment having text his Labour colleague with phrases such as "bum rapist" and "gay lord". The most offensive text from this Labour candidate read:-

"All the gay bum boys in Bristol should be dumped in a big hole filled with dog poo. A helicopter should then fly over the dog poo hole and douse the gays in flammable liquid and then the dog poo should be ignited burning the gays alive."

Labour's claims to be the natural home of LGBT people is clearly no longer credible.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry, how can the Cons NOT be a gay friendly party with David Cameron and his associate Nick Clegg at the helm?

I know the Lib Dems aren't exactly the same as the Conservatives, but hey, they're close enough, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ataloss)
    This week as Nigel Evans MP, former Tory shadow minister and now deputy speaker, "comes out" as gay making over half the openly LGBT MPs Conservative - a Labour candidate is charged with homophobic harassment having text his Labour colleague with phrases such as "bum rapist" and "gay lord". The most offensive text from this Labour candidate read:-

"All the gay bum boys in Bristol should be dumped in a big hole filled with dog poo. A helicopter should then fly over the dog poo hole and douse the gays in flammable liquid and then the dog poo should be ignited burning the gays alive."
    In all fairness Conservative candidates have made similar comments in recent months. A general election candidate in Scotland made similar comments and a Conservative politician from the south (I have no idea where exactly) complained about "limp wristed boys in the local area" or something along those lines, so it's not like they're immune from these anti-gay comments (However thankfully both those politicians were suspended or banned from the party).

Labour's claims to be the natural home of LGBT people is clearly no longer credible.
    Not really. I mean if you look at the amount of legislative change they've brought about in such a short period of time, probably more so than any other Western government, it's a bit silly to say they're not LGBT friendly anymore on the basis of one councillor. You have to remember that under Labour the UK went from being the most backwards European countries when it comes to gay rights to being one of the most progressive.

Ultimately I don't think the Tories are now the gay friendly party, but they're just not the non-gay friendly party that they used to be. In other words all of our main parties are gay-friendly, so any claim that Labour and the Liberal Democrats used to have towards gay people has diminished, and largely thanks to Cameron. There's little denying that he's done his party a massive favour in liberalizing them socially, and in particular when it comes to gay rights.

ReputationRep:

1. Why on earth should the Conservatives having the most openly gay MP's make it the most gay-friendly party? Even in the fantasy world where they are wholly defined themselves by their sexuality they would still have to follow the party whip.

2. You've just equated LGBT with gay which is quite ironic as you seem intent on pussy-footing around these communities and not "offending" them.

3. Texts are private and do not reflect the policies of a party. In civil cases I do not think the defendant's job should be allowed to be publicised; what on earth does a private text message have to do with the workings of his party?

4. Were the texts to a gay person? Even if they were, it's not really a matter for the courts, is it, more a punch-in-the-face type vibe. If it's a slanging match, he's clearly just using the person's homosexuality to insult him rather than actually thinking all gays should burn in a pit of fire and brimstone.

5. So I take it you want us all to vote Tory. But, shock horror, some gay people don't define themselves entirely by their sexuality! I know, right? I'm bisexual and why the **** should I give a toss which party's got the most gay people in it? I'd much rather vote for the one that's going to make the money flow round properly and increase civil liberties. It's terribly sad that some gay people are so obsessed with their sexuality that they would vote Tory for this reason or something equally stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arekkusu)
    1. Why on earth should the Conservatives having the most openly gay MP's make it the most gay-friendly party? Even in the fantasy world where they are wholly defined themselves by their sexuality they would still have to follow the party whip.

2. You've just equated LGBT with gay which is quite ironic as you seem intent on pussy-footing around these communities and not "offending" them.

3. Texts are private and do not reflect the policies of a party. In civil cases I do not think the defendant's job should be allowed to be publicised; what on earth does a private text message have to do with the workings of his party?

4. Were the texts to a gay person? Even if they were, it's not really a matter for the courts, is it, more a punch-in-the-face type vibe. If it's a slanging match, he's clearly just using the person's homosexuality to insult him rather than actually thinking all gays should burn in a pit of fire and brimstone.

5. So I take it you want us all to vote Tory. But, shock horror, some gay people don't define themselves entirely by their sexuality! I know, right? I'm bisexual and why the **** should I give a toss which party's got the most gay people in it? I'd much rather vote for the one that's going to make the money flow round properly and increase civil liberties. It's terribly sad that some gay people are so obsessed with their sexuality that they would vote Tory for this reason or something equally stupid.
    1. Of course inherently it doesn't - but it does make the charge of them being the "homophobic" party less credible.

2. "Gay", as you know, is still used as an umbrella term - for example it's not "LGBT pride" but the gay pride marchs represent the LGBT community.

3. It was a charge of gay hate and harassment bought by another labour candidate following actions that occurred as a result of trying to be a candidate for the same seat so it is entirely relevant.

4. Of course they were. The fact you have not read the case makes your argument appear slightly silly. However, of course what you write and say in private is more likely to represent your actual opinion rather than the line you trot out in a TV interview etc..

5. I couldn't care less who you vote for. I have regularly made the exact point on TSR that gay people are neither a "community" or defined by their sexuality. The point simply is that Labour often try to claim to be the natural home of gay people and voters - where as in fact it all parties are predominantly "gay friendly".

ReputationRep:
    Which party okayed gay adoption, abolished section 28 and brought in civil partnerships? Which party voted against these mesures?

Theres your answer.

ReputationRep:
    1. The Tories have the most gay MPs because they have the most MPs.

2. No, the Tories are not the most gay friendly party. The party is led by a former (I'll give him the benefit of the doubt) homophobe who once voted against the repeal of the homophobic Tory legislation Section 28, and accommodates a number of openly homophobic MPs, such as Anne Widdecombe, who was until May 2010 an MP. Most Tories hate gays.

Labour is the only gay friendly party.

ReputationRep:
    Well they have become a pretty gay party now

ReputationRep:
    I know more gay Tories than I do non-Tories.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teveth)

2. No, the Tories are not the most gay friendly party. The party is led by a former (I'll give him the benefit of the doubt) homophobe who once voted against the repeal of the homophobic Tory legislation Section 28, and accommodates a number of openly homophobic MPs, such as Anne Widdecombe, who was until May 2010 an MP. Most Tories hate gays.

I don't know about that. I doubt the Greens are gay bashers

ReputationRep:
    No, not with their dire voting record on gay rights issues.

ReputationRep:
    I've had enough.

I don't doubt that the attitudes to gay people has changed in the Conservative Party, as indeed, it has in the Labour Party. It is largely a generational thing, rather than a party political thing. Frankly, it's bordering on ridiculous how desperate these political parties are in winning over a certain demographic of people, in this case the 'gay vote' in their poor attempts to increase their popularity without any actual work in changing policy etc.
    It genuinely sends a chill down my spine. Why can't the government get its head out of its arse and do its job properly!

I mean obviously, your views on the role of government and the economy are surely independent of your sexuality

ReputationRep:
    Well the 2 gays I know IRL both vote Tory....
    Just sayin'.

ReputationRep:
    Even in percentage terms the Conservatives have more openly gay MPs than Labour - 3.59% (11/306) vs 3.10% (8/258) so your argument is flawed.

ReputationRep:
    There is a significant difference between the Conservatives being the most gay-friendly party on the basis of individual MPs being gay and being the most gay-friendly party in terms of party policy. There have always been openly homosexual Tory MPs, even when Conservative administrations were at the height of their demonisation of homosexuality. What would make them a gay-friendly party is tackling homophobia through their policies, which they do not do.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, I'm not entirely sure. But at least the leader has stepped up and has apologised for the whole Section 28 thing.

You must remember though, that MPs are meant to be representatives of their constituencies. If the people they're representing are homophobic, they sort of have to take that into account. Fortunately, with rapidly changing public opinion, that sort of thing is becoming less of a problem.

I do think that working with the Lib-Dems will help too. One of the Lib-Dem policies is to introduce full same-sex marriages, so fingers crossed.

ReputationRep:

I wonder if the candidate will be charged with homophobic hate crime under Labour's hate crime legislation.

The communities Labour rely on for votes and sometimes draw their candidates from are often homophobic.

ReputationRep:
    How are we defining a 'gay party'?

One that has the most gay MPs,

OR one that supports pro-gay legislation,

OR a party which has the most gay voters.

ReputationRep:
    Most Tories hate gays.
    Absolutely ridiculous claim you're making there. I personally know no Tories who are homophobic, let alone hate gays. You have no proof for what you're saying.

What about the Green Party?

It's disgusting that you make false or unsupported claims like these.

ReputationRep:
    I remember Derek from Big Brother [back in the day] was a gay Tory supporter... just sayin'
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Laud

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.