Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hello all
    I am a history undergraduate student and i would like to study economics. I am thinking of doing a 1 year graduate diploma and then an msc. Would i still have the same career prospects as a traditional bsc econ student? I am very interested in the subject and love reading relevant books but i am better at humanities and social sciences than numerical subjects. So shall i forget about economics? Will it be too hard? Thanks a lot
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    1.If you don't like maths then forget an Msc (and diploma) in Economics, at Msc level economics is even more theoretical than at undergrad which in itself is quite mathematical.
    2.It costs a lot of money, are you prepared to pay for a diploma and an Msc, it could run you more than 10K depending on where you go.

ReputationRep:
    If you have an MSc you will have better prospects than a student who has just done a BSc in Economics, and your wider background won't do any harm.

Bear in mind the points yoyo says though. I wouldn't rule it out if you're more of a social scientist than a mathematician, as long as you've got the ability to work through the maths, self teaching bits of it, and stick with it. If you actively dislike maths then you will not like the course. These Diplomas tend to attract two types of student, high fliers from other subjects who come in with 1sts, get to grips with Econ quickly, and go on to be successful, and then some who have just thought 'ah maybe Economics will give me more career prospects than my former degree' and get a rude awakening. If you come from a social science/humanities background then you will probably be more suited to SOAS/RHUL/Sussex/Essex Diploma programme rather than Warwick, Cambridge or LSE, who want to recruit students from maths or science courses and also charge exceptionally high fees.

Cost is an issue but maybe not so bad if you can live with family while you are studying it, but I would not expect you to be able to do it for less than £10k in fees over the two years.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.