Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    how did you go about leaving home?
    when did you leave home, and how old were you?
    who did you live with and what type of house/flat did you live in?

im currently in my first year of uni and living at home, and I would like
    to know how other people dealt with this.

thank you

please no 'youve made a mistake' 'youre missing out' etc. Ive made my decision to stay at home during uni and I'm sticking with it at least for the first year. I just want to know what other people that lived at home during uni did, not what people think I should have done. thank you

ReputationRep:
    this doesnt make sense... u are asking people who are LIVING at home during uni questions on LEAVING home???

ReputationRep:
    You've missed out on the halls experience, you will forever live with your parents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EDCE88)
    this doesnt make sense... u are asking people who are LIVING at home during uni questions on LEAVING home???
    yes i mean the people that live with their parents during uni, but i assume they dont then go on to live with their parents for their entire lives.

ReputationRep:
    I started uni in September and I chose to live at home for the main reason that I'm better off here...
    - I get all my food cooked for me
    - Have my own bathroom
    - Nice big bedroom
    - Get to sleep when I want (not when everyones finished screaming in the halls)
    etc etc

I've made friends with a lot of people who live in halls though, and the option is always there for me to stay over and stuff. I don't regret not living in halls despite it being the more convinient thing to do in a morning (crawl out of bed 10 mins before lecture starts) for the main reason I have privacy - Lots of people in halls mention that you get no privacy what so ever and have to wait ages to have showers, this wouldnt suit me at all! haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katie.g)
    I started uni in September and I chose to live at home for the main reason that I'm better off here...
    - Have my own bathroom
    - Nice big bedroom
    etc etc

I've made friends with a lot of people who live in halls though, and the option is always there for me to stay over and stuff. I don't regret not living in halls despite it being the more convinient thing to do in a morning (crawl out of bed 10 mins before lecture starts) for the main reason I have privacy - Lots of people in halls mention that you get no privacy what so ever and have to wait ages to have showers, this wouldnt suit me at all! haha.
    oh im glad you understand the benifits of living at home!
    how far away do you live from your uni?

ReputationRep:
    I live a 20 minute drive away so not far I usually go on an evening for a few hours some nights, doing work with my mates or just having a laugh... So I feel very much included in the events that take place on campus, but its even better to come home and have my own quiet little bedroom haha

ReputationRep:
    - Have my own bathroom
    - Nice big bedroom
    etc etc

this just said it all for me.

ReputationRep:
    I live a 20 minute drive away so not far I usually go on an evening for a few hours some nights, doing work with my mates or just having a laugh... So I feel very much included in the events that take place on campus, but its even better to come home and have my own quiet little bedroom haha
    (Original post by TheProdigy2k9)
    this just said it all for me.
    So what do you think youre going to do when you leave home then?
    are you going to stay at home for all of your uni years?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pocket!)
    So what do you think youre going to do when you leave home then?
    are you going to stay at home for all of your uni years?
    probs move out in my third year or for my masters, but its possible i'll move to another city then.

ReputationRep:
    Might sound boring but I'm gonna stay at home for all 3 years I think, just because it's cheaper! I'll eventually leave home when I have enough money haha

ReputationRep:
    I live in a house across the road from my uni (I can see the entrance to my uni from my bedroom window). It's not my families house though, I just rent a room in the house, and there's about 20 other students in the house too.

I don't mind living like this...

ReputationRep:
    This is essentially a moving out vs staying at home debate. I moved out when I was 19, started uni at 22 and would never move home, independent living kicks ass!
    I cook good meals, I clean my own clothes, do what I want, with who I want, when I want. No nagging parents, no annoying siblings.
    For me living away from home has many more advantages than living at home.

ReputationRep:
    i live at home but lived out in 1st year, personnaly for me its no different i can come and go as i please and have parents to pick me up after nights out so dont really miss out at all. I plan to move out once i get a job so could be in ten years time, doesnt really bother me tbh

ReputationRep:
    i live an hours train journey away from my uni and its not too bad living at home. Sure it can be tiring often commuting lots and you are sometimes out of the loop when people get together in halls whilst your at home but generally its good and people have offered to let me crash at theirs when they go out.
    Next year I'm gonna hopefully share a house if I can find some housemates, most of my friends are either living at home or are living with both guys/girls next year whereas my parents only will let me share a house if its all guys.

For my third yr i think im gonna commute again.
    And after uni maybe stay at home or live in Manchester we'll see how it goes. It all depends on getting a job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jabed786)
    i live an hours train journey away from my uni and its not too bad living at home. Sure it can be tiring often commuting lots and you are sometimes out of the loop when people get together in halls whilst your at home but generally its good and people have offered to let me crash at theirs when they go out.
    Next year I'm gonna hopefully share a house if I can find some housemates, most of my friends are either living at home or are living with both guys/girls next year whereas my parents only will let me share a house if its all guys.

For my third yr i think im gonna commute again.
    And after uni maybe stay at home or live in Manchester we'll see how it goes. It all depends on getting a job.

you're lucky being able to get a train! i have to get a bus for an hour and its a lot less fun lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pocket!)
    you're lucky being able to get a train! i have to get a bus for an hour and its a lot less fun lol.
    trust me the train is crap... why you may be asking?
    Because they are always over crowded.
    When I travel back home, I spend an extra 20 minutes going to a train station thats further away just so I can get a seat on the train. Rather than going to the train station 5 minutes away which is overcrowded.
    Its strange, people pay more money for peak times yet get less of a service!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.