Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Weight gain after being 'dangerously under weight' Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've gone:
    ( 12 => 11 => 10.5 => 10 => 9.5 relatively safely) => (9 => 7st 12lb in 2 months)

I'm 5'8", male and 18.

And recovering from an eating disorder. The nurse says I've become dangerously underweight, and I'm wondering how to gain safely, muscle and a little fat.

I know I probably should ask in a better way, but people here seem to have a good idea on how to help with any sort of body problems. I naturally had quite a lot of muscle, but with the weight loss it feels like I've lost too much. I used to use weights, and I do a morning routine of min. 40 press ups, 30 crunches (with added weights) and quite a lot of running and walking, generally from place to place. I'm very fidgety.

I need help with diet and workout...

ReputationRep:
    I appreciate that you've had an eating disorder but I don't think any of the fitness regulars know too much about that. Weight gain strategies are all pretty simple, albeit they usually involve hard work.

I assume you're sufficiently underweight that just about anything will help you pack (good muscular) bodyweight on. A good place to start would be getting to 3-4 square meals a day which all contain at least 25-30g of protein and some kind of fruit/vegetable as well as some kind of post-workout nutrition (a whey protein shake and maltodextrin/some kind of sugar for example)

In terms of excercise, don't run too much. It's not very good for weight gain. Keep it to under 2-3 30 min sessions a week. More than that will probably hinder your progress on a basic weight routine. Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe (google starting strength wiki) is a pretty good place to start in terms of routine. Don't worry too much about other stuff like pushups and crunches for a while. Just do starting strength and perhaps a little cardio, though personally I think it's not all that necessary for the moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antiaris)
    I've gone:
    ( 12 => 11 => 10.5 => 10 => 9.5 relatively safely) => (9 => 7st 12lb in 2 months)

I'm 5'8", male and 18.

And recovering from an eating disorder. The nurse says I've become dangerously underweight, and I'm wondering how to gain safely, muscle and a little fat.
    At this stage you need to start eating significantly more. The priority shouldn't be eating a uber healthy diet and large amounts of exercise, it should be eating whatever you will eat and plenty of it - period.

Really you need to consult a professional because it's quite obvious here that you are still struggling with your eating disorder. Eating a healthy diet and exercising sounds like a great idea but if you aren't eating properly it will simply accelerate your weight loss. You need professional advice as to how you can integrate exercise and healthy eating into your lifestyle without it becoming uncontrollable and relapsing.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.