Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA AS Ethics RSS01 Help Required. Essay Structure and Evaluation Points Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I am sitting RE RSS01 AQA Ethics paper In Jan and would like some help. My teachers are useless and just reiterate the textbook word for word.

I need help on my structure and exam technqiue. Last time round, i just got an B, and need an A on this side to get an A overall.

Any tips guys, sometimes when i answer the question I get different answer to those in the mark scheme and am worried that this will give me lower marks depending on the examiner.

Regards

NWO

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm doing A2 OCR Religious ethics this January, but I'm thinking they will look for similar kinds of things..
    What is your exam format? A question which looks for facts, then a question which looks for evaluation? Or do you have one big question which you have to mix them?
    Also what are your topics?
    Let me know these and I will try and help all I can

ReputationRep:
    use quotes
    got me an A
    Main points plus be critical. Add your own points but don't put them across as opinions.
    The pasrt As however fill with as much information and knowledge as possible. Try to include knowledge not just in the textbook. Part B is where you critically analyse all the way through

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilylikeeee)
    Well I'm doing A2 OCR Religious ethics this January, but I'm thinking they will look for similar kinds of things..
    What is your exam format? A question which looks for facts, then a question which looks for evaluation? Or do you have one big question which you have to mix them?
    Also what are your topics?
    Let me know these and I will try and help all I can
    The topics Are Utilitarianism, Situation Ethics and nature and value of human life which are the 3 im studying. AQA give you a choice of what 2 to answer and all 3 always appear

Yep your right on the exam format. First one is one where it is all facts so its basically all content worth 30 marks.

‘Utilitarian thinking is consequential.’
    Explain the meaning of this statement. Refer to the utilitarianism of both
    Bentham and Mill in your answer.

Second is an evaluation worth 15 marks - Basically Pro's and Con's i think

‘Happiness is the only goal in life that is worth working for.’
    Discuss how far you agree.

(Original post by mazzie111)
    use quotes
    got me an A
    Main points plus be critical. Add your own points but don't put them across as opinions.
    The pasrt As however fill with as much information and knowledge as possible. Try to include knowledge not just in the textbook. Part B is where you critically analyse all the way through
    Part A i do use a lot of quotes, the textbook quotes where I use the content and put it down.

Part B is where i try to make an argument and like use examples and key philosopher who have made the criticism.

For the other side Philosophy of Religion, I managed to get an "A" so bit confused and getting worried as time goes on.

Really appreciate your quick responses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by New_World_Order)
    The topics Are Utilitarianism, Situation Ethics and nature and value of human life which are the 3 im studying. AQA give you a choice of what 2 to answer and all 3 always appear

Yep your right on the exam format. First one is one where it is all facts so its basically all content worth 30 marks.

Okay so those utilitarian questions are exactly like ones my exam board would do.

So yeah, for part A you would have 30 minutes?
    Write a paragraph introducing the topic; explaining the meaning; What is the basis behind utilitarian thinking? What is meant by consequential?
    Write a paragraph on Bentham, and how his act utilitarianism shows consequential thinking, giving at least one quote.
    Then do the same for Mill
    And if you have time I would write a conclusion, making comparisons between the two; is one more consequential then the other?

For part B
    Its asking for a evaluation of utilitarianism, focusing on the idea of 'happiness'. With evaluations, though you can blag it, I perfer to actually revise pros and cons so that I can make a solid answer in an exam, which ever topic comes up. The trick for really high marks is to get a balance of pros and cons, and to go deep into these. Criticising a criticism or criticising a strength of an argument gets you really good marks. And always have a conclusion paragraph where you give YOUR view.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by New_World_Order)

Part A i do use a lot of quotes, the textbook quotes where I use the content and put it down.

Part B is where i try to make an argument and like use examples and key philosopher who have made the criticism.

For the other side Philosophy of Religion, I managed to get an "A" so bit confused and getting worried as time goes on.

Really appreciate your quick responses.

Try and find quotes not in the book and facts not just in the book. Don;t be original but just show you have read around the subject. Im not reall sure what else to suggest as thats all i've done ad i did get an A.
    Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mazzie111)
    Try and find quotes not in the book and facts not just in the book. Don;t be original but just show you have read around the subject. Im not reall sure what else to suggest as thats all i've done ad i did get an A.
    Good Luck!
    (Original post by emilylikeeee)
    Okay so those utilitarian questions are exactly like ones my exam board would do.

So yeah, for part A you would have 30 minutes?
    Write a paragraph introducing the topic; explaining the meaning; What is the basis behind utilitarian thinking? What is meant by consequential?
    Write a paragraph on Bentham, and how his act utilitarianism shows consequential thinking, giving at least one quote.
    Then do the same for Mill
    And if you have time I would write a conclusion, making comparisons between the two; is one more consequential then the other?

For part B
    Its asking for a evaluation of utilitarianism, focusing on the idea of 'happiness'. With evaluations, though you can blag it, I perfer to actually revise pros and cons so that I can make a solid answer in an exam, which ever topic comes up. The trick for really high marks is to get a balance of pros and cons, and to go deep into these. Criticising a criticism or criticising a strength of an argument gets you really good marks. And always have a conclusion paragraph where you give YOUR view.
    Any views for evaluation points on these for Utilitarianism:

-What is more important- the ending of pain and suffering or the increase of pleasure?

- How worthwhile is the pursuit of happiness and is it all that people desire?

- How compatible is utiltarianism with religion?

Any views for evaluation points on these for Situation Ethics:

- Does Christian love allow people to do anything, depending on the context, and how far is it true that love should be the highest Christian law, overruling all others when necessary?

- How compatible is Situation Ethics with other Christian approaches to moral decision-making?

Thanks very much guys.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I'm doing the AS AQA ethics and I was just wondering if anyone could give me tips for the exam; I feel my biggest problem is the timing (u have to write 4 "essays" in 1h10m)...How long do the examiners expect the essays to be? Mine are about a page and a half handwriting (quite small really) but I'm not sure if that is enough:confused:

I need help with any key points for this question on utilitarianism plzzz:

How far is it true to say that an ethical theory based on the consequences of an action is never sound?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.