Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I lost about a stone and a half in my first term of uni, a lot due to stress etc. Before uni i was probably a bit over weight as i have a 'sweet tooth' and at home there was always foods about. While at uni i exercised a lot 5 times a week at the gym, using x trainer and treadmill. I know i ate healthy meals but would eat lots of sweets/choc in evening so would then usually go to the gym. I am actually shocked at the weight as i have eaten quite a lot this last week or so and came home yesterday. Now i am really unsure and confused about how to eat as I worry i have messed up my metabolism. After doing some research i have seen it might be wise to eat the number of calories my body needs per day and just moderate exercise (3-4 times a week) and see how it goes. Do you think this is wise? I know i will gain some weight and i do want to but would be happy at a weight which is a 1/2 stone or stone heavier than now. My question is will i keep on gaining if i eat normally..up to what weight? I want to get eating normally and exercising healthily but scared that i will just keep gaining and gaining above my pre uni weight. How will i be able to restore my metabolism? Will it return to normal?
    if i did exericise will my metabolism be less affected if i had not exercised and eaten next to nothing?

Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    No ones posted because your Original Post is a bit of a mess

Tell us your goals, time frames, diet and current workouts clearly and concisely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smile-Like-You-Mean-It)
    I lost about a stone and a half in my first term of uni, a lot due to stress etc. Before uni i was probably a bit over weight as i have a 'sweet tooth' and at home there was always foods about. While at uni i exercised a lot 5 times a week at the gym, using x trainer and treadmill. I know i ate healthy meals but would eat lots of sweets/choc in evening so would then usually go to the gym. I am actually shocked at the weight as i have eaten quite a lot this last week or so and came home yesterday. Now i am really unsure and confused about how to eat as I worry i have messed up my metabolism. After doing some research i have seen it might be wise to eat the number of calories my body needs per day and just moderate exercise (3-4 times a week) and see how it goes. Do you think this is wise? I know i will gain some weight and i do want to but would be happy at a weight which is a 1/2 stone or stone heavier than now. My question is will i keep on gaining if i eat normally..up to what weight? I want to get eating normally and exercising healthily but scared that i will just keep gaining and gaining above my pre uni weight. How will i be able to restore my metabolism? Will it return to normal?
    if i did exericise will my metabolism be less affected if i had not exercised and eaten next to nothing?

Thanks x
    This is going to sound like I haven't read most of what you've written but frankly you're thinking in a very unproductive manner. You need to completely rewire how you think about yourself and your weight.

Your weight is not the problem in and of itself. Stop focusing on it because it is not the most useful thing to look at. It is perfectly possible to lose 20%+ of your bodyweight through dehydrating yourself in one day. It does not help you lose fat and is of no real aesthetic value (to you.) Focus on objective pictures of your physique, measurements and how your clothes fit. Those are the things that matter, not your scale weight.

Clean up your diet, restrict your 'sweet tooth' to time periods where it is actually of some kind of use (i.e. when you've earned it after a hard workout) and don't worry about calories too much. You are unlikely to overeat the types of food like meat and vegetables that should comprise the majority of your diet. Stop fretting about your metabolism and your paralysis by analysis. Just stick to a simple excercise program (dare I say it starting strength?) and perhaps a cardio session or two while cleaning your diet up of things that you know are not good for you. Plan 1-2 cheat meals a week and then be done with it. Keep it simple and the results will come in time. Re-evaluate as necessary on a regular basis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Blind Monk)
    This is going to sound like I haven't read most of what you've written but frankly you're thinking in a very unproductive manner. You need to completely rewire how you think about yourself and your weight.

Your weight is not the problem in and of itself. Stop focusing on it because it is not the most useful thing to look at. It is perfectly possible to lose 20%+ of your bodyweight through dehydrating yourself in one day. It does not help you lose fat and is of no real aesthetic value (to you.) Focus on objective pictures of your physique, measurements and how your clothes fit. Those are the things that matter, not your scale weight.

Clean up your diet, restrict your 'sweet tooth' to time periods where it is actually of some kind of use (i.e. when you've earned it after a hard workout) and don't worry about calories too much. You are unlikely to overeat the types of food like meat and vegetables that should comprise the majority of your diet. Stop fretting about your metabolism and your paralysis by analysis. Just stick to a simple excercise program (dare I say it starting strength?) and perhaps a cardio session or two while cleaning your diet up of things that you know are not good for you. Plan 1-2 cheat meals a week and then be done with it. Keep it simple and the results will come in time. Re-evaluate as necessary on a regular basis.
    thanks, i possibly do too much cardio, so could you suggest other exercises, perhaps that work on building up muscle more as i guess i am going to need to build this up and i dont want weight to go an and just be fat. I am really going to work on my diet and follow your advice. So do you think my metabolism will be less affected than i think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smile-Like-You-Mean-It)
    thanks, i possibly do too much cardio, so could you suggest other exercises, perhaps that work on building up muscle more as i guess i am going to need to build this up and i dont want weight to go an and just be fat. I am really going to work on my diet and follow your advice. So do you think my metabolism will be less affected than i think?
    What I am saying is that you don't really need to think about your metabolism. All you need to do is eat correctly, do a solid weights routine like starting strength with some auxiliary cardio if you want to and then see how your body reacts. If your clothes are fitting in ways you don't like then you re-evaluate what is going on. That's really all you need to do for now. Don't worry about your metabolism or whatever, just go and do a basic fitness routine and eat properly. Remember your protein and see how it goes.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.