Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Handed in essay 5 weeks ago. Should I have had it back by now? Watch

ReputationRep:
    As title says, I handed in my essay 5 weeks ago last Friday into uni. I'm still waiting on it and I had expected to get it back by now. My course had put in a 3 week return policy as students have complained about having to wait a long time to get work back before. Last year I had to wait 2 months to get feedback and results for a piece of work.

Is it worth complaining, or 5 weeks still acceptable/reasonable?

ReputationRep:
    perhaps your essay was a million words long and they are still marking it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Orange)
    perhaps your essay was a million words long and they are still marking it?
    Nah, it was a 2000-2500 word essay. Mine was around the 2400 mark, but the majority of my class did 1800-2100.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kat2pult)
    Nah, it was a 2000-2500 word essay. Mine was around the 2400 mark, but the majority of my class did 1800-2100.
    in that case i would complain, especially as you've had to put up with this in the past

ReputationRep:
    Same thing has happened to me recently, our first essay took 5 weeks to be marked. There were lots of complaints during this time as people were doing second essays and wanted the feedback from the first to make sure they were on the right track, but it was not returned in time.

I think it really depends on the tutors. Ive just done a second assignment and that only took 2 weeks for the mark to come back, so I guess some are quicker at marking than others.

ReputationRep:
    Our uni has a "five working weeks" policy. It's now Christmas holiday, which won't count, so you'll have to wait until the beginning of January most likely.

ReputationRep:
    If your uni has a 3 week reeturn policy then yes, you should complain. If you'd given an essay in an hour late they'd deduct marks, and now universities are increasingly taking on the role of businesses providing a service it's up to you to ensure that they provide that service well. If they don't, then make a complaint. It might be worth asking others on your course if they'd like to sign a group email to that effect. Not to cause trouble, but to make sure your university is aware of its responisbilities to its students and to fulil their obligations as you do yours (and are penalised if you don't).

ReputationRep:
    If they're going against their own 3 week policy, then yes you do have a right to complain.

ReputationRep:
    I usually have to wait around 3 weeks to hear anything back but they always end up not coming back much later which irritates me, I would like to know where to improve in case I make the same mistake in another essay.

ReputationRep:
    Why the hell are you asking us? Did you get your tutor's email address mixed up with thestudentroom.co.uk or something?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.