Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I didn't attend my last couple of days as a temp at Royal Mail. Will Jobseekers know? Watch

ReputationRep:
    My temp job was fine but the last weekend I was supposed to work I had the flu and I tried to contact them but they didn't really give you a proper number and the email just sent back an automated response so I left it. The job had come to an end anyway.
    Now I want to do a rapid reclaim for Jobseeker's and I'm wondering if they'll find out I didn't turn up and won't let me back on. Do they get in touch with your last employer at all? Surely, because it was only a temp job they'd just assume it had finished?

ReputationRep:
    Are you allowed to claim JSA while temp working?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TravelGuru)
    Are you allowed to claim JSA while temp working?
    Well she's not working any more :rolleyes:

Go to the JSA place and ask.

ReputationRep:
    Dont ask, just do it. They generally dont.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice_Queen)
    Well she's not working any more :rolleyes:

Go to the JSA place and ask.
    I was only asking. Jeez. You don't know the answer either so no need to belittle my post. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    You are allowed to take time off if you are too unwell to go to work. It should not make any difference that it happened to be your last 2 shifts. If you followed the employer's procedure for reporting sickness they don't really have anything to complain about.

ReputationRep:
    They usually don't check up. If they did that for everyone in temp jobs it would take forever. They might ask you to get a letter from your last employer to say that you no longer work there and to give the last day you worked there. They generally get you to provide all of the evidence for your claim.

ReputationRep:
    If you are referring as to wether you can claim job seeker's allowance because you left your employment without being dismissed the answer to your question is yes, yes you can.

If you voluntarily leave your employment because your "choosing not to work" then you are not entitled to claim job seeker's allowance, but if you didn't attend employment because you were unwell (or for other un-forseen circumstances) then you would have been dismissed from the position at the employers discretion for failing to attend or being (AWOL) Absent without leave. Also, if the temporary work was due to end on that date anyway, then you would still be entitled to claim job seekers allowance.

If your employment is terminated by means beyond your control, your entitled to job seekers allowance.

(unless of course you just chose to stay at home smoking pot and playing nintendo in which case, give me my tax money back!!) - Just a joke!! =)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.