Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Find the values of k for which the equation x^2 - kx + (k+3) = 0 has real roots.

How would I go about doing this? Help would be much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    What is b^2 - 4ac (the discriminant) equal to when an equation has real roots?

ReputationRep:
    you know the discriminant must be greater than zero.

D = b^2-4ac

ReputationRep:
    real roots so b^2-4ac>0. So k^2-4(1)(k+3)>0. Just solve the inequality ( you do know how to, right?).

EDIT: if an equation has real roots, then b^2-4ac>0. If an equation has equal roots, then b^2-4ac=0. If an equation has no real roots, then b^2-4ac<0

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm:

Of course. K is less than or equal to 2 and greater than or equal to 6. Thank you all

Edit: -2 not 2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mya369)

Of course. K is less than or equal to 2 and greater than or equal to 6. Thank you all
    Incorrect. It is less than 2 and greater than 6. By putting -2 in, you get:  x^2-2x+1. For that equation, b^2-4ac=0 - so it has to be less than -2. If you put 6 into the equation, then it will be: x^2+6x+9. b^2-4ac is equal to zero again. It is better to draw a curve going through both points and then look at the part above the x axis for >0 or the part below the x axis for <0.

ReputationRep:

actually i think it's -6 and 2

EDIT: i was wrong, I miss-read your post sorry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MostCompetitive)
    Incorrect. It is less than 2 and greater than 6. By putting -2 in, you get:  x^2-2x+1. For that equation, b^2-4ac=0 - so it has to be less than -2. If you put 6 into the equation, then it will be: x^2+6x+9. b^2-4ac is equal to zero again. It is always easier to draw a curve going through both points then looking at the part above the x axis for >0 or the part below the x axis for <0.
    pretty sure "real roots" includes the situation of a repeated root. if it said "distinct roots", i'd agree with you

ReputationRep:
    Incorrect. It is less than 2 and greater than 6. By putting -2 in, you get:  x^2-2x+1. For that equation, b^2-4ac=0 - so it has to be less than -2. If you put 6 into the equation, then it will be: x^2+6x+9. b^2-4ac is equal to zero again. It is better to draw a curve going through both points and then look at the part above the x axis for >0 or the part below the x axis for <0.
    I think that 2 and 6 are inclusive. Repeated roots are still real roots.

ReputationRep:
    Gunna go with equal roots being included. Thanks though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pheylan)
    pretty sure "real roots" includes the situation of a repeated root. if it said "distinct roots", i'd agree with you
    It doesn't. That is because when an equation has real roots, b^2-4ac&gt;0. That doesn't include equal to zero.

ReputationRep:
    Gunna go with equal roots being included. Thanks though
    > than 0 doesn't include equal to 0. Because i've done this paper recently, I can show you the mark scheme if you want.

ReputationRep:
    > than 0 doesn't include equal to 0. Because i've done this paper recently, I can show you the mark scheme if you want.
    I'm sure you can, but I found this question in an edexcel textbook. Their answer and the answers to similar questions include equal roots.

I agree with you in that if they state that for real roots the discriminant is greater than 0 (which they do), but not greater than or equal to 0, they shouldn't include equal roots in their answer. They aren't being consistent.

ReputationRep:
    . They aren't being consistent.
    I agree

ReputationRep:
    The answer is just,

it forms equal roots when k is 6, or when k is -2. There is no "less than.." or "greater than.." involved.

E.g when k = 6, it forms x^2 - 6x + 9 = (x - 3)(x - 3)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.