Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Over here in TSR, I see loads of people discussing LSE's paranoia with GCSE grades and A*s. I applied for Economics (L101) before the Oxbridge deadline. I have the necessary A-Level/IB grades but I never took the GCSEs.

Rather, I was enrolled in an Indian education board called the CBSE and I got decent grades there. The thing is, these are represented as percentages and not grades. Is this detrimental to the application or would LSE interpret the percentages in the context of the qualification?

ReputationRep:
    They'll take your qualifications in the context of your educational background. They should be equivalent of majority A*/A though for you to stand a chance.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Libertarian)
    They'll take your qualifications in the context of your educational background. They should be equivalent of majority A*/A though for you to stand a chance.
    Well, I applied before the Oxbridge deadline and I am yet to receive any news - offer or rejection. So I assume I am a part of the "gathered field".

I took 6 subjects (the maximum) for my GCSE equivalent qualification. 5 of them were above 90 and the 6th was 84 - totally an aggregate mark of 91%.

Oh well, wonder how they interpret it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rohitronaldo)
    Well, I applied before the Oxbridge deadline and I am yet to receive any news - offer or rejection. So I assume I am a part of the "gathered field".

I took 6 subjects (the maximum) for my GCSE equivalent qualification. 5 of them were above 90 and the 6th was 84 - totally an aggregate mark of 91%.

Oh well, wonder how they interpret it.
    90% in GCSE is an A*, so perhaps it's the same in your qualifications.

ReputationRep:
    I have spoken to many senior academics at the LSE along with similarly prestigious London universities and they all stressed the importance of a strong GCSE profile along with the sufficient grades in order to make the cut. Being Indian is not an excuse for not having the correct qualifications. Do you think that you should get special treatment because of your ethnicity? Do you believe that the LSE care if you have a valid excuse for not achieving the required grades?

The answer; a resounding; NO!

Political correctness has gone mad. This is like something out of Animal Farm. Newton would be spinning in his grave if he could see this farcical excuse for a country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ConservativeTruth)
    I have spoken to many senior academics at the LSE along with similarly prestigious London universities and they all stressed the importance of a strong GCSE profile along with the sufficient grades in order to make the cut. Being Indian is not an excuse for not having the correct qualifications. Do you think that you should get special treatment because of your ethnicity? Do you believe that the LSE care if you have a valid excuse for not achieving the required grades?

Political correctness has gone mad. This is like something out of Animal Farm. Newton would be spinning in his grave if he could see this farcical excuse for a country.
    You're a particularly unfunny troll.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ConservativeTruth)

It is because of people like you that the rest of the world sometimes has a skewed perception of a country. Why can't you go troll elsewhere? Why attack my thread, when I am asking a genuine doubt?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.