Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    If i get a really bad grades like a Ds for the coursework overall at AS can i repeat just the courseworks in the 2nd year when am doing my A2's?

    I have had 2 goes at the practicals which are titrations and the analysis & evaluation papers and so far Ive got really bad grades...Like D's. Its mainly the practicals which let me down. I got 1 more attempt left and if i don't ace it I'm basically ruined..

    What grades should i be aiming for in coursework if i want an A overall for AS? I'm pretty confident that i could get an A for unit f331 as Ive gone through a couple of past papers and Ive done quite well. And i could also possibly pull out an A/B grade for F332.
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    1) You can re-sit if your school lets you
    2) Depends on the rest of your grades, the AS coursework is 20% of the total grade (30% F331, 50% F332) so if you totally nail F332 and do well in F331 you are in a solid position, but will prob need at least a C.

    Ask your school for some of the previous years skill papers, particularly the Skill III and Skill V which sometimes are virtually identical (one of the tasks last year had a COMPLETELY identical Skill III to the previous year). Remember to use the correct sig figs and signs, i think there was a paper where just that was 4 marks out of 12.

    Skill II is all about making sure your table is good and your results are tight to each other. Guidelines are pretty consistent on those:
    - all lines drawn, headings, units, consistent decimal places
    - spread allowance depends on the paper, but ideally you want 3 identical results, or 2 identical and one out by 0.5 or less.
    -AVERAGES MUST BE CALCULATED FROM AT LEAST 3 READINGS, CROSS THROUGH ANOMALOUS ONES AND REPEAT THEM
    5 marks is for the closeness to your teacher's value (not much you can do about that one, but if your results are reliable you should be close). There is also almost always a "random" question related to the practical at the end.

    Skill IV is a complete piece of piss, if you carefully follow the instructions and write EXACTY what you see (remembering the difference between clear and colourless) then you should do well.

    Last year we had 75 in AS and only 5 didn't get a B or above in the AS coursework, and tbh, those didn't deserve to do better. Our head of chemistry honestly thinks he could teach a 5yr old to do well in them!
    Offline

    3
    ReputationRep:
    Our school let us resit in Year 13 (we just went at lunchtimes).
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    Everyone in my year did really bad in the AS coursework
    I managed to scrape a B in my coursework (UMS wise) but my raw mark was 75%.. I know a couple of people who got C's in their coursework and still managed to get A's at the end of the year
 
 
 
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.