Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best provider for mobile internet? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm Thinking of buying a mobile broadband dongle so I can work from my laptop in public as opposed to being couped up in my room.

Does anybody have any recommendations for providers? Was thinking of going with 3 or o2. But I think topping up (PAYG) with o2 only lasts for 30 days, then you have to top up again!

Do all mobile internet providers work like this? Maybe I should just get a contract deal instead?

ReputationRep:
    I think in general top ups on any provider only last a month.

But have a look at some of the other offers from Three and Vodaphone.

Three have some starter kits that last longer. e.g. 12GB that lasts up to 12 months for around £80. If you're going to be using it a lot then Three have some good contracts as well. Three also have a 500mb 1 day topup which if you're only using it occasionally might be cheaper. Personally I've had some pretty good speeds from three for mobile broadband.

I'm not sure what vodaphone offer but I've heard they have some good deals as well.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much all of the PAYG deals work like that. As said above you can get some starter kits though.
    The main thing IMO is to see who gives the better signal in your area.
    In my experience, Three have the best signal coverage. T-mobile should be good too as they share most of Three's towers, and Orange will join the group sometime during 2011 too.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really have that much experience with mobile internet other than BT's mobile internet (which i'm using at the minute). I'm in the middle of a city at the minute so the signal's good (3G and sometimes HSDPA).

It's quite reliable and rarely causes me problems, but I guess it really depends on the area you're in. For example, I know over here T-Mobile and 3 are TERRIBLE, but O2, Orange and BT are good.

ReputationRep:
    I've had vodaphone mobile internet and the word slow would be a huge compliment...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ms607)
    I know over here T-Mobile and 3 are TERRIBLE
    Agree with this, especially 3, they take the piss sometimes.

(Original post by ms607)
    but O2, Orange and BT are good.
    Would add Vodafone to this list.

ReputationRep:
    Get an o2 dongle, put a giffgaff SIM into it, top it up with a tenner a month and you get unlimited (really unlimited, none of this fair use policy rubbish) mobile internet, with the same coverage you'd get on o2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by should be revising)
    Agree with this, especially 3, they take the piss sometimes.
    3 and t mobile share the same 3G network, so one shouldn't be worse than the other.

(Original post by Addzter)
    Get an o2 dongle, put a giffgaff SIM into it, top it up with a tenner a month and you get unlimited (really unlimited, none of this fair use policy rubbish) mobile internet, with the same coverage you'd get on o2.
    Not useful if O2 signal with you is crap though.

At the end of the day its pointless recommending networks because it depends hugely on where the OP lives / will be using the dongle.

ReputationRep:
    orange, top up 10 quid get 300 texts and unlimited internet for that month

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    3 and t mobile share the same 3G network, so one shouldn't be worse than the other.

Not useful if O2 signal with you is crap though.

At the end of the day its pointless recommending networks because it depends hugely on where the OP lives / will be using the dongle.
    True, but if the OP has good O2 signal than it's a good deal. O2 (and therefore giffgaff) have decent coverage; they're not 3.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Addzter)
    True, but if the OP has good O2 signal than it's a good deal. O2 (and therefore giffgaff) have decent coverage; they're not 3.
    Whereas in my experience, O2 have rubbish coverage.
    See what I mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    Whereas in my experience, O2 have rubbish coverage.
    See what I mean?
    Well then, clearly, what I recommended wouldn't be for you. However, if the OP has good O2 coverage then it'd be good advice, and if he doesn't he can just ignore it. I'm not sure what your point is...

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the tips.

Hmmm still a little uncertain whether to go with o2 or 3 really. My brother recently bought an o2 dongle and wasn't getting a very good reception, but having said that I won't be using it at home exactly. I will be using is about 6 miles away in the nearest city centre.

I there there is a 3 or o2 shop where I plan on using the dongle (I forget which... might be both!) so I might just have to chance it.

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    anything but orange!

ReputationRep:
    Several site give coverage maps or an indication of what they think they can manage if you put in a postcode. They're never hugely accurate but the times I've used the three one it's generally been pessimistic. I've only found a couple of places where I've had issues connecting to 3G internet and they're both mobile blackspots.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.