Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Came accross a really useful site and just thought I would share it with everyone

http://lenshero.com/

ReputationRep:
    Oh nice!
    thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Bit rubbish really - I told it I had a 50D, had a budget of £1900 and wanted to do portraits and it gave me the 70-200mm f/2.8 L series, when what I actually want is the 85mm f/1.2. If you know nothing about cameras then it might help, but if you have several thousand to drop on a lens you really should know what lens you want to buy.

ReputationRep:
    It's so depressing seeing the prices of lenses sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuffles)
    Bit rubbish really - I told it I had a 50D, had a budget of £1900 and wanted to do portraits and it gave me the 70-200mm f/2.8 L series, when what I actually want is the 85mm f/1.2. If you know nothing about cameras then it might help, but if you have several thousand to drop on a lens you really should know what lens you want to buy.
    But surely you would know what you want if you are going to spend close on 2 grand on a lens

ReputationRep:
    It didn't return anything when I asked for a cheap tele zoom for my 450d !

ReputationRep:
    Not to mention that it can't find some pretty common lenses. Can't find the Canon EF 28-70mm f/3.5-4.5 (old but still good) when I tried to put it in. Same for the Sigma 15-30mm. To my mind this site is a gimmick and I could find out more with a little bit of common sense and time to search some websites.

I don't see why anyone would use this, surely you'll get a broader view if you decide what your budget is, what you need the lens for, and put those details into the filters on any camera shop website - or even ebay!

Not impressed one bit.

I put in that I wanted a lens for sport/action and had £4k to spend (I wish!) had a 70-200mm F/2.8L (non-IS) and 20D. What was it's recommendation?
    1: 135mm f/2.0L - not the worst recommendation - it's nice and fast and long enough.
    2: 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM MK I - why??? I just said I had the non-is - if I'm doing sports/action the IS isn't going to be used!
    3: As #2 but MK II - same comment
    4: 300mm f/2.8L IS USM - a good recommendation for the subject
    5: 70-200mm f/2.8L USM (non-IS) - they recommended the same lens that I just said I owned? Stupid website
    6: 200mm f/2.8L USM - not the worst recommendation, will be sharper, wide open than the 70-200, but the focal length has already been covered...
    7: Sigma 150mm f/2.8 - again probably a touch sharper being a prime, but see the criticism with #6
    8: Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 - a cheaper version of the Canon? Will be softer than the Canon, so why recommend it?
    9: Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 - to my mind a good recommendation, fair enough on that one.
    10: Sigma 300mm f/2.8 - yep another good recommendation - why are these rated below the other lenses though?

@OP - not the best website in my opinion. Recommendations seem somewhat questionable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard710)
    Came accross a really useful site and just thought I would share it with everyone

http://lenshero.com/
    Could be better!
    But will no doubt help a few people newer to photography!

Nice one for sharing

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't even have my camera - Nikon F6. This is odd considering it's the most advanced film camera ever made.

ReputationRep:
    The 70-200mm F/2.8 lenses are quite popular for portraits, so it's not that far off the mark. But I'd probably rather a super fast 85mm too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sammydemon)
    It doesn't even have my camera - Nikon F6. This is odd considering it's the most advanced film camera ever made.
    You have a Nikon F6?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shmuxel)
    You have a Nikon F6?
    Why is this surprising? I have an olympus OM-4 too, which I prefer to use most of the time.

ReputationRep:
    Why is this surprising? I have an olympus OM-4 too, which I prefer to use most of the time.
    But the Nikon F6 is incredibly expensive....

ReputationRep:
    But the Nikon F6 is incredibly expensive....
    You can get them used for less than half the RRP. Do you want one or something?

ReputationRep:
    You can get them used for less than half the RRP. Do you want one or something?
    No, it was just that it seemed odd to me that a student would own such an expensive camera, but as you got it used....

ReputationRep:
    No, it was just that it seemed odd to me that a student would own such an expensive camera, but as you got it used....
    Not sure what's so odd about that?

I know a student with a D700, F5, 85mm F/1.4G, 24-70mm F/2.8, 70-200mm F/2.8

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ReddDraggon)
    Not sure what's so odd about that?

I know a student with a D700, F5, 85mm F/1.4G, 24-70mm F/2.8, 70-200mm F/2.8
    Agreed, plenty of students out there that save money for their hobbies. I've got a reasonably expensive gear list, not as expensive as yours though I don't think!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R. Murray)
    Agreed, plenty of students out there that save money for their hobbies. I've got a reasonably expensive gear list, not as expensive as yours though I don't think!
    I wish that was my list of gear, the only similarity is the F5, but I shall be getting a Nikon 24-70mm F/2.8 in the near future .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ReddDraggon)
    I wish that was my list of gear, the only similarity is the F5, but I shall be getting a Nikon 24-70mm F/2.8 in the near future .
    Oh misread! I'm not buying any more gear for a while, just got a Sigma 105mm Macro! Still got most of the focal lengths I need covered.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I managed to get hold of it for £550, a bargain!
    I wouldn't rush to replace it though if it broke. My manual focus film cameras are just as good in almost all situations and gear is not, of course, everything.

Also, my digital is only a D90, I only have a D700 in my dreams

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.