The Student Room Group

Diary of a George's Physio Graduate

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Cheers dude!

So how's things with you, how's the course going etc?
Reply 41
Well....here's the thing. Only this very day I found out that I have a job! Applied for private practice MSK and got it :smile:

I am to say the very least well chuffed. Just gotta graduate now :wink:

Spooky or what.
Reply 42
Ah great stuff :biggrin:

Well, since I last wrote - the CRB's gone through in a week, and in spite of a bit of a mix up with references details that's all sorted and I now have a start date - May 16th. I heard last night that my first rotation will be on cardiac/surgical, so I'm guessing lots of mobilising, secretion clearance, ACBT and restoring FRC and VC. Should be cool, did a fair bit of that on ITU where half the patients were in that category, so it should be fascinating without being totally out of my comfort zone, so a good way to ease in.

Only decision now is whether to take up the option of polo shirts (I have some George's ones but it might look a bit odd), and what shoes to wear. They do say black, no trainers, must be wipe clean but my nice comfy trainer-stylee shoes are wipe clean and black. I'm told in practice they're not too picky but I'm not sure I want to risk it in case I get a department where they are!
Original post by iainmacn
Well...

I'll post again later to do full justice to the recruitment process, yesterday was a loooooooooooong day!

Anyway - the headline news is..................drum roll...............subject to references...........................drum roll................

I have a job as a band 5 physio at one of the top hospitals in the country

:party: :party:

So...absolutely knackered after a very long stressy day yesterday.

Elated that I have a job that I'd struggle to design better - great rotations, not miles away, seem to be nice people, really great teaching etc

Scared sh*tless at the thought of flying solo - I'm told this is pretty normal and that I'll settle down in a couple of weeks.

hugh congrats on ur new job iainmacn as a band5 physio it looks like all ur hard work has finally paid off ^_^
Reply 44
Well I suppose I should re-title this thread as I'm not unemployed but I don't expect to post too often on here - just too busy!

Right, well I've been at Tommy's about three weeks now, but what with induction, shifts etc I've only worked five shifts. That's five twelve hour shifts, which is tiring, but I'm getting used to it and the days off are a major bonus!

Anyhow - the team is great! So friendly! Only trouble is what with all the shifts (which aren't regular) you can work with someone one day and then not see them for two weeks. It's lots of heart surgery like CABGs but also GI tract stuff. There's lots of mobilisation at the moment but the opportunity to do more respiratory stuff. Plus I have to learn on call competencies in the next few months before my first on-call.

I have to admit a few days in that I had a major band five wobble - not uncommon I'm told, but I was forgetting basic bits and bobs and had a day or two of self-doubt. The team's been great though and I'm now feeling a lot better. So many things to read up about that I could do without working tomorrow, but I'll do it later, and to be honest it's probably just me wanting to get everything right. There's been some great in service teaching already.

So all in all it's great, the shifts are a bit of a downer as if I wanted to do any regular sports at weekends (I'd like to get back to rowing) it might spoil that but other than that I'm loving it :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest