Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'm basically quite stuck on what to do next in terms of university. I want to do something with English, because it is what I have always excelled at without much effort, yet I still have no idea what I want to do post-university. Law is a consideration at the moment, but this could easily change.
    The real problem is the university I go to, I know I'm capable of doing well but I partied my way through revision leave at GCSE's, and did absolutely nothing in terms of revision except a few hasty scan-reads of my textbooks the night preceding each exam. I'm not asking for a telling off or any condescending words here, I fully realize my mistake - I realized it while I was doing it but there were much larger problems causing this apathy that weren't being dealt with.
    I therefore emerged with very average results, 3 A*'s, 4 A's and 4 B's. Two of my A*'s were in English lit and lang. I'm working hard at my new school and hoping to get A's at AS level, and I'm really really enjoying english. I would love to go to a really good uni like UCL, but I'm not sure what my chances are.
    In short, what should I be aiming for? I'm constantly hearing that I should have got at least 6 A*'s to get anywhere decent, and yet I don't even know what universities are good for English. Any advice or pointers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna_waits_for_you)
    Hello, I'm basically quite stuck on what to do next in terms of university. I want to do something with English, because it is what I have always excelled at without much effort, yet I still have no idea what I want to do post-university. Law is a consideration at the moment, but this could easily change.
    The real problem is the university I go to, I know I'm capable of doing well but I partied my way through revision leave at GCSE's, and did absolutely nothing in terms of revision except a few hasty scan-reads of my textbooks the night preceding each exam. I'm not asking for a telling off or any condescending words here, I fully realize my mistake - I realized it while I was doing it but there were much larger problems causing this apathy that weren't being dealt with.
    I therefore emerged with very average results, 3 A*'s, 4 A's and 4 B's. Two of my A*'s were in English lit and lang. I'm working hard at my new school and hoping to get A's at AS level, and I'm really really enjoying english. I would love to go to a really good uni like UCL, but I'm not sure what my chances are.
    In short, what should I be aiming for? I'm constantly hearing that I should have got at least 6 A*'s to get anywhere decent, and yet I don't even know what universities are good for English. Any advice or pointers?
    Your GCSE results are not 'very average'; they are not even close to average. Even if you had eleven A*s you might not get into UCL for English because of the small number of places on the programme; in this respect, talking about your grades is sort of pointless. Achieve good grades at A level and put in an application; it is only one choice so if you are rejected it will not make that much difference.

ReputationRep:
    GCSEs really don't matter as much as you think they do. If you want to try for Oxbridge then they maybe a consideration but otherwise, your GCSEs are absolutely fine. You should be much more worried about getting good A Levels.

ReputationRep:
    As everybody knows, you must have at least 352 A* at GCSE and 15 A at A-Level to get into uni. Your life is over, you may as well resign yourself to the fact that you will be unemployable to every company out there.

But on a more serious note, your GCSEs are far from average.

Check out this: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/h...l_subjects.stm

This place will give you a complete warped perspective of what is average. 10 A* is not average. 1 B at GCSE doesnt mean that your application to uni goes straight in the bin. Just keep working towards A at AS level and you will be fine.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.