Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi, im an AS level economics student and i need some help with some work that i was given over Christmas, we haven't really gone over these questions in class and i was hoping you guys could help me out

Q1: if a monopoly exists in a particular industry, any benefit for consumers is most likely to arise from:
    A) excess profits
    B)barriers of entry
    C) diseconomies of scale
    D)none of the above

Q2: the the government of a country which is a major tourist destination has proposed a subsidy to hotel owners of £1.00 per tourist for every night spent in hotel accommodation. the government would be most likely to justify this in terms of:
    A) the external benefits of tourism
    B)the external costs of tourism
    C) the private costs of tourism
    D)the private ciosts of tourism

thanks for you help i really appreciate it

ReputationRep:
    D&A

edit: Negged? its the right answer! coward

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lazy smurf)
    D&A

edit: Negged? its the right answer! coward
    You aren't supposed to just give answers but give hints so the person can do the work themselves. Or at least do both.

Not that I negged you. Just an explanation of why someone may have done it. And I agree with your answers.

@ OP

1. a) How do consumers benefit from excess profits? They don't (directly, I guess you could argue that the profits might be used for innovation and so the consumers get better quality products, but that is far fetched for this simple question)
    b) Barriers means less competition. We know competition benefits consumers
    c) The more production the less efficient? How would this benefit consumers?

2. Tourists spend money in the hotels. But they spend money on other things as well and this benefits the economy of the country.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.