Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I am an EU Student re-applying to study in the UK. I have a fair amount of questions regarding my application but don't know who I can turn to - it's a little complicated because I already applied last year and now don't know how to proceed with my second application.
    There's no e-mail contact on the UCAS Website, only a phone number and I would rather communicate in written form than call from another country.

Does anyone have any helpful contacts?

ReputationRep:
    Post your questions here, and some people will come along and try to give you answers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ireth00)
    Hello,

I am an EU Student re-applying to study in the UK. I have a fair amount of questions regarding my application but don't know who I can turn to - it's a little complicated because I already applied last year and now don't know how to proceed with my second application.
    There's no e-mail contact on the UCAS Website, only a phone number and I would rather communicate in written form than call from another country.

TSR's always a good resource - if we know the specific questions, we can be quite helpful, even if just to point you somewhere else.

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

[email protected] < email for UCAS

i was going to say their is email for them cause i have used it before HOWEVER they do take ages to reply

ReputationRep:
    Erm, okay, but this is rather lengthy, so I will truly appreciate it if anyone will bother to read the whole thing. The whole situation is explained in the first part, but I only need answers to the questions in blue.

I am an EU student applying to study Architecture in the UK. There are too many reasons why I wish to study in the UK to discuss right now, though. I graduated from secondary school (high school) last year and received an IB Diploma. I already applied to study in the UK last year and my five choices were The University of Edinburgh, The Glasgow School of Art, UCL, Newcastle University and The University of Sheffield. My application was declined by the first three of the universities, however, I did receive an offer to send in a portfolio to The University of Sheffield and Newcastle University. After sending in the portfolio I withdrew my application to The University of Sheffield myself before they even announced their decision regarding my application, but I did receive a conditional offer from Newcastle University. They liked my portfolio and conditioned me to obtain the overall score of 37 points in my final exams. However, I withdrew my application before the results of the exams were announced because I was unable to apply for a scholarship (awarded by my country’s Ministry of Education) and could not afford to study in the UK without it. When the results of the final exams were announced in July I found out that I only obtained 36 points and would therefore most probably be declined an offer anyway.

I was declined an offer by The University of Edinburgh, The University of Glasgow, and UCL because I didn't do Art in the IB Programme. The problem is, and I explained this in my personal statement, that my school does not offer Art or History of Art neither in the IB Programme nor in the National Programme. I did attend Art class in my first year of high school (the way our system works is that attending Art class is obligatory and only possible in the first year), but marks from the first year don't come into account when applying for University. I also attended an independent class for technical drawing in my second year, which is organised by the Union of Students of Architecture in my country every year to help prepare prospective students for entry exams for our universities. However, I did not obtain any formal qualifications in this class so none of the UK universities I applied to considered it as an adequate qualification.

Furthermore, most of the UK universities demand minimum marks 555 in the three subjects taken at Higher Level, and also a minimum mark 5 in Mathematics in case this subject is taken at Standard Level. I did English, Slovene, and Philosophy at Higher Level, and obtained marks 7, 7, 6, respectively, but did Mathematics at Standard Level and only obtained mark 4, even though I was predicted mark 6. I am re-sitting Mathematics this May (again at Standard Level) because it was for very foolish reasons that I did so badly last year and I know I can do better.

However, I got into one of the Slovene universities and am doing Architecture at the moment, but would still like to either transfer to a UK university or re-apply for the first year again since I am able to apply for scholarship this year and have chances of being awarded. I have only been at university for 2.5 months but I can genuinely say that I enjoy my course and definitely see myself working in this field in my later life. It is at this point that I would like to ask for your assistance.

1. I am determined to re-apply, but my question is – do I keep last year's application's Personal ID, Username and Password for UCAS and only modify last year's application or do I need to create a completely new application?

2. The University I go to at the moment offers my course in The Bologna System of Education, so should I finish my first year here and simply transfer into a second year at one of the UK universities (provided I get an offer) or is it better to have one application and re-apply for the first year for all 5 universities again, because not all of them offer Architecture in the Bologna System and I couldn't simply start a second year in case I get into such university, because the differences between the 'old' and the new Bologna Systems are too big.

3. May I keep and re-use my last year's personal statement or should I write a completely new one? I don't wish to have any problems in case UCAS considers the new personal statement a plagiarism, but it is my personal statement I would copy anyway? Of course, I would have to change some paragraphs, but would like to keep some parts of it, for example, the reason why I wish to study Architecture and what I find fascinating about it, because these things haven't really changed for me since last year.

4. May I re-use last year's letter of recommendation or do I need to get a new one? The same reasons as above.

5. How do I complete the marks section? I already have marks for all subjects (Slovene HL 7, English HL 7, Philosophy HL 6, Psychology SL 5, Biology SL 5, Mathematics SL 4, TOK + EE 2 points, overall mark: 36). However, I will be re-sitting Mathematics and will not even sit the exam by the time I send the application. How do I write down the marks in the application and make it clear that I will 'use' the marks I obtained last year, except for Mathematics which is the only subject I will be re-sitting? Do I write down the grade I obtained last year (4) next to all other grades and mention in the personal statement that I will be re-sitting this subject or can I write down the predicted grade (6) only for this one subject in this very section? Clearly, I will need to send the certificate subsequently when the results are published in summer.

6. Besides re-sitting Mathematics I intended to acquire some formal certificate in Art, but as I already mentioned, my school does not offer that subject at all. In case the school offered Art on the National Matura Level I could transfer that mark, but it does not so I can't. Not all UK universities even require qualifications in this subject, but some of those I wish to apply to do. As I explained in the beginning of this letter, I did attend Art class for one year, and attended a unqualified drawing class, and I also have History of Architecture and Art as one of the subjects now at the university (but I can't 'use' marks from university in the application, I can only use marks from my final exams from high school). Do you suppose I could mention all this in my personal statement and would it mean anything to the universities which require having formal qualifications in Art?

7. Beside all the questions above, what are my chances of getting an offer (supposing I do well on my Mathematics exam and meet the conditions) if I have already been doing this course in my country this year?

Many many thanks to anyone who will take their time to answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MylesXD)
    [email protected] < email for UCAS

i was going to say their is email for them cause i have used it before HOWEVER they do take ages to reply
    Oh, thank you so much! I already posted the whole thing on TSR but will also write to UCAS. Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

ReputationRep:
    Have read it all, but only quoted the main questions. Don't know the answers to all of them because I'm not particularly aware of architecture admissions, but have answered the ones I can.

do I keep last year's application's Personal ID, Username and Password for UCAS and only modify last year's application or do I need to create a completely new application?
    You will need to create a completely new application.

should I finish my first year here and simply transfer into a second year at one of the UK universities (provided I get an offer) or is it better to have one application and re-apply for the first year for all 5 universities again
    You can do a mixture in your UCAS application. Contact the unis you're interested in and ask about the possibility of transferring into the second year and, if they agree, put 'entry point' as 2. It's probably best to finish the year anyway, because some unis will consider first year results when making a decision for first year entry.

May I keep and re-use my last year's personal statement or should I write a completely new one?
    You can just copy and paste the entire thing again, if you want - you can self-plagiarise, but not for the purposes of UCAS. The processor will note it's by the same person, and let it go through.

May I re-use last year's letter of recommendation or do I need to get a new one?
    You'll need to ask the referee's permission again, but if using the same person, the reference can be exactly the same as well.

How do I write down the marks in the application and make it clear that I will 'use' the marks I obtained last year, except for Mathematics which is the only subject I will be re-sitting? Do I write down the grade I obtained last year (4) next to all other grades and mention in the personal statement that I will be re-sitting this subject or can I write down the predicted grade (6) only for this one subject in this very section?
    When entering your qualifications, put all of them in with the grades and achieved date of (I presume) 2010), except maths. Put that in twice - once as a 4 for year 2010 and once as pending for year 2011. Get your referee to enter the predicted grade of 6.

Do you suppose I could mention all this in my personal statement and would it mean anything to the universities which require having formal qualifications in Art?
    Not sure how to include a university in the UCAS form, but you will have to put it into the 'Education' section as somewhere you have been, and I think you can say what modules you're taking.

As for discussing it, sure - it's relevant. You could get your referee to mention the reason you have no formal IB qualification for art because you were unable to study it, so you can just focus on the things you do know.

what are my chances of getting an offer (supposing I do well on my Mathematics exam and meet the conditions) if I have already been doing this course in my country this year?
    Honestly, no way to say. It's very competitive this year because of a shake-up in the fees planned for 2012 entry, but no one really knows your chances. However, can say one thing for definite - if you don't apply, you have no chance.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.