Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking Religious Studies (Philosophy and Ethics) for A level
    And I'm taking the Philosophy exam in January!
    I'm unable to take this subject at school as it clashes with my other subjects so I'm trying to teach myself the whole syllabus and aiming for an A (Ambitiously stupid? Maybe..But I'm still going for it)

So I really need an A in this exam and I'm determined to work hard to get it!

I've just got a text book and I'm trying to learn all the subjects such as
    Religious Language
    Miracles
    Religious Experience
    etc..

and then attempting essays.

If anybody has any advice on how to secure an A in this exam it would be very much appreicated !! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InspiredEmma)
    I'm taking Religious Studies (Philosophy and Ethics) for A level
    And I'm taking the Philosophy exam in January!
    I'm unable to take this subject at school as it clashes with my other subjects so I'm trying to teach myself the whole syllabus and aiming for an A (Ambitiously stupid? Maybe..But I'm still going for it)

So I really need an A in this exam and I'm determined to work hard to get it!

I've just got a text book and I'm trying to learn all the subjects such as
    Religious Language
    Miracles
    Religious Experience
    etc..

and then attempting essays.

If anybody has any advice on how to secure an A in this exam it would be very much appreicated !! Thanks
    Hey
    Well the best advice I can give you would be the obvious, which is to know the theories inside out. You get a lot of marks for recalling certain theories/views, so make sure you know them. Then learn some criticisms/strengths for every possible theory which you can throw in your essays.

When answering the questions, try and figure out a structure that works best for you. For me, I like to answer each question in the following way:

Paragraph 1 - Intro - Address the question, set the scene type thing. Make sure you state that there are two viewpoints: One that agrees with the statement in the question, one that disagrees with it

Paragraph 2 - First Point - This point should support the question. Outline a theory that supports this point.

Paragraph 3 - Criticism/strength of the first point - This could include more than one point, so maybe a weakness and a strength. Whichever floats your boat

Then Point 2 which may disagree with the question, criticism/strength of the second point and so on...

Continue like this then reach a decisive conclusion which either agrees or disagrees with the statement in the question.

I hope that helped!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.