Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm redoing my english gcse through a home learning provider and am slightly struggling to get started with one of the coursework questions.. Starting an essay is usually tough for me but once I get going I can't stop! (I did one of my essays yesterday that I had been struggling with, sat down and made myself do it and in a couple of hours had written close to 1200 words!

I just need some general tips on this particular question to get me started;

'What was the cause of Lady Macbeth’s madness? How does Shakespeare portray her in the final scene? '

Now I know that I essentially have to answer two questions here, first identifying the main causes of her madness and then looking at how she is portrayed in the final scene.

Dense question but is this the final scene in the play, or the final scene she is actually in?

Also, looking at the causes of her madness. I can only think of guilt as the major cause. But do I need to identify more causes, if so can anyone point out any causes? (sorry I'm not trying to cheat here, just actually struggling with this text- I didn't particularly enjoy it when I did it at school but at least then I had a teacher telling me things I needed to know, which I don't remember now)

If anyone could also recommend any reading material, other than the text itself of course, which would help with this essay? How much reading outside of the text itself would be recommended?

ReputationRep:
    *bump*

anyone? :o:

ReputationRep:
    That's quite a difficult question...

I supposed you could argue about the fact that in Shakespearean literature, women are usually portrayed as being weak and even though she was one of the main instigators, she eventually succumbed to her guilt because she is a woman.

That being said Beatrice, was an incredibly strong Shakespearean heroine...

To some extent anyway :holmes:

I'm digressing now, sorry for being so useless

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sango)
    I supposed you could argue about the fact that in Shakespearean literature, women are usually portrayed as being weak and even though she was one of the main instigators, she eventually succumbed to her guilt because she is a woman.
    As you seem to realise yourself, that doesn't really work (the 'weak women' argument). At best it would need to be a lot more complex.

Lady Macbeth doesn't appear after V.i, so I'm assuming that must be the scene referred to. I think GUILT would be enough to look at, as you can explore a lot within that. It would be best to look at V.i in comparison to Lady Macbeth's appearances earlier in the play, especially maybe II.ii ("A little water clears us of this deed").

I can't think of any secondary sources that would help. You could do a bit of Googling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MSB)
    As you seem to realise yourself, that doesn't really work (the 'weak women' argument). At best it would need to be a lot more complex.

Lady Macbeth doesn't appear after V.i, so I'm assuming that must be the scene referred to. I think GUILT would be enough to look at, as you can explore a lot within that. It would be best to look at V.i in comparison to Lady Macbeth's appearances earlier in the play, especially maybe II.ii ("A little water clears us of this deed").

I can't think of any secondary sources that would help. You could do a bit of Googling.

Thank you, this is a very helpful response

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.