Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Tony McCoy favourite to win SPOTY.... Watch

ReputationRep:
    Why? He finally wins the National after 14 or 15 attempts and suddenly he's going to win it...

Now when you look at the ones in contention I think Phil Taylor should win, no doubt Darts is a very skillful art and the 2 Nine-darters in the Premier League alone should seal the title for him. Also darts is a level playing field, nothing like racing the best horse huh Tony?

Anyway there are great contenders in the line-up and all deserve it more than AP. I don't get why McDowell is higher than Westwood in the golf stakes either, I think being consistent all year and fighting to Number 1 is more prolific than winning a major and doing good in the Ryder cup.

So who do you think will win it?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Phil deserves it but won't win, it's nothing more than a popularity contest and i'm waiting for the inevitable ''darts is not a sport'' argument to come up.. None the less, he will certainly be getting my vote.

I reckon it'll be one of the golfers that wins.

ReputationRep:
    I also don't know why McCoy is favourite, not because of any lack of achievement but because most people don't care about horse racing and he isn't exactly a media personality in the way David Haye or Tom Daley are :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Why? Because he is the only candidate with a significant campaign behind him to win. Bookmakers, racing programmes, racing papers have been campaigning for votes for the past week.

I personally think Amy Williams should win. An Olympic gold medal is still, in my eyes, the greatest achievement in sport.

I think Tom Daley is amazing. Hopefully he will in 2012 after an Olympic gold medal.

ReputationRep:
    David Haye knocked out by flu. :rofl: Calls himself a warrior - he's beaten by a little virus. :p:

ReputationRep:
    amy williams, shes the most genuine person

ReputationRep:
    The bookies and the racing press shouldn't be enough to see him win, hopefully not anyway.

This is far too tedious a programme, can watch no more. Despite Amy Williams looking foxy :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    LMAO, all that said McCoy doesn't deserve it clearly know nothing about horse racing.

I suggest broaden the amount of sports you watch, and then you will understand why McCoy is the favourite. Its not only because of the Grand National, its also because of what he actually does on a daily basis.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously we don't know anything about horse racing, noone does :dontknow: That's why it would be odd to see him win. Noone cares.

I watch plenty of sport tbh :smug:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xannny)
    LMAO, all that said McCoy doesn't deserve it clearly know nothing about horse racing.

I suggest broaden the amount of sports you watch, and then you will understand why McCoy is the favourite. Its not only because of the Grand National, its also because of what he actually does on a daily basis.
    You're a tool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RIISE)
    You're a tool.
    Yes a tool.

(Original post by Colbert)
    Obviously we don't know anything about horse racing, noone does :dontknow: That's why it would be odd to see him win. Noone cares.

I watch plenty of sport tbh :smug:
    What is there to know about horse racing? Jockey gets on a horse races against other horses and jockeys.

ReputationRep:

What is there to know about horse racing? Jockey gets on a horse races against other horses and jockeys.
    :lolwut: You are the one who said we know nothing about horse racing, and then told us there is nothing to know :facepalm2:

I think you have just demonstrated better than anyone why it would be a terrible decision.

ReputationRep:
    Westwood to win =]

ReputationRep:
    If this was rewarded exactly as the title says, it should be Graeme Swann.
    This guy has the best personality out of the lot of them. He's really funny, yet not arrogant and doesn't boast when he isn't kidding. The guy is a legend, not to mention his pretty stellar year for England in test cricket. Who am I kidding anyway? Cricketer's don't get the award unless they are a boozing 'Typical English' guy (Flintoff). Maybe the cat incident will count in his favour in this regard..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colbert)
    :lolwut: You are the one who said we know nothing about horse racing, and then told us there is nothing to know :facepalm2:

I think you have just demonstrated better than anyone why it would be a terrible decision.
    Yawn.

I meant that he does that on a daily basis.

Racing is on 7 days a week, McCoy does it daily over and over again.

Over 3,000 winners from 13,000 horse races. The MOST SUCCESSFUL jockey in the history of racing.

The others should not win it because their sport is not something that requires them to give it their all on a daily basis. I know you will say they train, however, that is different to actually participating as McCoy does.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liam 09)
    This guy has the best personality out of the lot of them. He's really funny, yet not arrogant and doesn't boast when he isn't kidding. The guy is a legend, not to mention his pretty stellar year for England in test cricket. Who am I kidding anyway? Cricketer's don't get the award unless they are a boozing 'Typical English' guy (Flintoff). Maybe the cat incident will count in his favour in this regard..
    This. His Ashes video diaries have been genius.

I think McCoy deserves it though. He's had an incredible career, capped this year by finally winning the Grand National, and if you think one great achievement's not enough to win it, then why did Ryan Giggs win it last year? Taylor would also be a worthy recipient, although there are many who question whether darts is actually a sport.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liam 09)
    I'd like Swann to get it too.

I don't quite know why Ennis has been nominated this year. She absolutely should have won last year considering what she did in 2009 but there are more deserving this year. I'd like Cavendish to get in the top 3 at least.

ReputationRep:
    Yawn.

I meant that he does that on a daily basis.

Racing is on 7 days a week, McCoy does it daily over and over again.

Over 3,000 winners from 13,000 horse races. The MOST SUCCESSFUL jockey in the history of racing.

The others should not win it because their sport is not something that requires them to give it their all on a daily basis. I know you will say they train, however, that is different to actually participating as McCoy does.
    I am a horse racing fan and I am not supporting McCoy to win either. You are right he is the most successful jockey in the history of NH racing and one of the most talented but you can only win in NH racing if you have the best horse in the race or a horse capable of winning it. McCoy wouldn't have won the Grand National had he rode any of the other 39 horses in the race.

I accept NH racing is tremendously hard work (although there is a summer break - it is not 52 weeks a year) and McCoy is a great sportsman. His reliance on the horse however means in my eyes he should not win ahead of Daley, Williams, Taylor etc...

ReputationRep:
    Thank goodness we won the Ryder Cup - I mean Ian Holloway as coach as the year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ataloss)
    Why? Because he is the only candidate with a significant campaign behind him to win. Bookmakers, racing programmes, racing papers have been campaigning for votes for the past week.

I personally think Amy Williams should win. An Olympic gold medal is still, in my eyes, the greatest achievement in sport.

I think Tom Daley is amazing. Hopefully he will in 2012 after an Olympic gold medal.
    I have to disagree. I would much rather be a boxing heavyweight champion and many other things.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 20, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.