Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I get very bad wireless signal in most of my house, so to help, I have got a TP-Link wireless access point (TL-WA701ND).

I have read the installation guide, but it doesn't help me at all, and I'm getting stuck at every single point.

So far: I have assigned my laptop a static IP, connected the access point up etc.

Next, I need to login to the access point via a web login, by entering the device IP address. (I did this successfully last time I tried to sort this out, but then got stuck on something else, and so left it, but now am trying to sort it out again)

When I enter the address given in the booklet, instead of taking me to the dialog box for login to the access point, it goes to my Bt Home Hub log in page instead.

How do I resolve this? I have not recently changed any details to do with the BT Home Hub, so I'm not sure why instead of going to the access point log in like it did before, suddenly its going to home hub instead?

Can anyone help? And please treat me like an idiot, with sceen shots and baby steps. I'm pretty much a technophobe.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like the Home Hub and AP have the same default IP address. Turn off your Home Hub when setting up the AP. You'll also probably want to change the IP of the Access Point as well, even if it's not in the instructions.

With the Home Hub turned off, you should get into your AP's home page. Are you connecting your laptop to the AP by wire? Or is the AP plugged into the Home Hub? You might want to wire the AP to your laptop whilst setting up, then plug it into your Home Hub when you've configured it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.