Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Seriously in need of a computer genius to help me solve this Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have a vista laptop and since the past 2 weeks every time I try to open my messenger I get something that says:

Error: The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail.

I tried looking up this problem on the net, but I never exactly understand what's being said (usually sites refers to something called dll???:confused:)

ex:

http://8help.osu.edu/4303.html

http://buffered.io/2008/05/17/resolv...ration-issues/

Can someone please help me solve this I'm seriously losing hope.

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling (or even just repairing)?

ReputationRep:
    I've tried removing messenger and installing it back on my pc but I still got the same error message.
    Bah I guess nobody knows-saw that coming

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pwad)
    I've tried removing messenger and installing it back on my pc but I still got the same error message.
    Bah I guess nobody knows-saw that coming
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...displaylang=en

Download this, install it, let me know how you go!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...displaylang=en

Download this, install it, let me know how you go!
    I installed it and I still get the same error notification it's pretty frustrating, but thanks for your help anyways

ReputationRep:
    Get a hammer BANG BANG! Fixed.

ReputationRep:
    Seeing the 2 examples that you have given, I think that you might have a DLL corruption or lacking administrator privileges. (If so please Turn Off your UAC)
    XP/ Vista Users should try installing this package to correct the problem:
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86 - For 32 Bit Systems)

Please check whether you need Service Pack 1 or 2 of the package installed.
    I hope this will help you! =]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueGenes)
    Seeing the 2 examples that you have given, I think that you might have a DLL corruption or lacking administrator privileges. (If so please Turn Off your UAC)
    XP/ Vista Users should try installing this package to correct the problem:
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86 - For 32 Bit Systems)

Please check whether you need Service Pack 1 or 2 of the package installed.
    I hope this will help you! =]
    Not sure what you mean by uac or how to turn it off, and I just downloaded Visual C++ 2010 version restarted my laptop and I still get the same message:

Error: The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect

ReputationRep:
    I have seen this issue before. It sounds like the install of the runtimes is silently failing. The last time I saw this was when I tried to install the runtimes on a Vista machine.

1) Download the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)

2) Install as Administrator - right click the file and "Run as Administrator"

Which should fix it, make sure you run the install as Administrator if you run Vista (yes, even if you have UAC turned off + are logged in as Admin). After running the install, make sure the folder above appears in your WinSxS folder, and that there are 3 DLL files in there.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Solution=Facebook

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 01010000 01001010)
    I have seen this issue before. It sounds like the install of the runtimes is silently failing. The last time I saw this was when I tried to install the runtimes on a Vista machine.

Which should fix it, make sure you run the install as Administrator if you run Vista (yes, even if you have UAC turned off + are logged in as Admin). After running the install, make sure the folder above appears in your WinSxS folder, and that there are 3 DLL files in there.

Good luck.
    I gave you rep because for a moment I thought you was Bill Gates

ReputationRep:
    >Vista

Theres your problem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gwalchgwyn)
    >Vista

Theres your problem

More like Windows altogether, it's amazing how unreliable Windows can be, why the vast majority of PC users actively choose to just it is beyond me.

ReputationRep:
    More like Windows altogether, it's amazing how unreliable Windows can be, why the vast majority of PC users actively choose to just it is beyond me.
    Macs are expensive, Linux is still not perfect out the box.

ReputationRep:

Good luck.
    I saved the Visual on my desktop then I right clicked and opened as administrator. When I went to open messenger I still got the same message. Not sure how I'm suposed to check if the Visual C++ appears in a Winsxs folder??

ReputationRep:
    Are we talking about Windows Live Messenger here? If so, did you uninstall it completely? < Try that if we are, then simply re-install.

If not, please post what the event log is showing when you get the error message.

Also, would I be correct in thinking that you are using AVG anti-virus? Look around the net a little shows that people experiencing this problem usually have AVG on a Vista machine.

Edit: Thought you might help finding the event log, here it is:
    Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer > Application events
    The error message will show up in red

Sorry I cannot be of any more help right now, but get the info I have asked for and I should be able to give you more help

ReputationRep:
    Are we talking about Windows Live Messenger here? If so, did you uninstall it completely? < Try that if we are, then simply re-install.

If not, please post what the event log is showing when you get the error message.

Also, would I be correct in thinking that you are using AVG anti-virus? Look around the net a little shows that people experiencing this problem usually have AVG on a Vista machine.

Edit: Thought you might help finding the event log, here it is:
    Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer > Application events
    The error message will show up in red

Sorry I cannot be of any more help right now, but get the info I have asked for and I should be able to give you more help

I don't have AVG on my laptop but this program called McAfee which I just removed. Other than that I have Kaspersky anti-virus.
    I tried uninstaling messenger according to the link you gave me but I got a message that said error: could not locate INF file 'C:\Windows\INF\msmsgs.inf'.
    This is general information on error found in the event log:

Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe".Erro r in manifest or policy file "" on line . A component version required by the application conflicts with another component version already active. Conflicting components are:. Component 1: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_ microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18 e3b_9.0.30729.4148_none_5090ab56 bcba71c2.manifest. Component 2: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_ microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18 e3b_9.0.30729.1_none_e163563597e deada.manifest.

and these are additional details:

C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_ microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18 e3b_9.0.30729.4148_none_5090ab56 bcba71c2.manifest
    C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_ microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18 e3b_9.0.30729.1_none_e163563597e deada.manifest

C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe

ReputationRep:
    Can you post screenshot of the error please?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TravelGuru)
    Can you post screenshot of the error please?

Thanks
    here's a link showing the error:
    http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...1t:429,r:0,s:0

ReputationRep:
    So I found another thread some place on the net where someone was having the exact problem (WinMessenger side by side error due to conflicts in the SxS manifests)

They fixed it by doing the following things:

It appears that you don't have the Visual C++ Redistributable required for MSN, but that may not be your fault, and it may not even be true.

**I assume that you're using Vista 32 bit because you didn't supply me with an OS and you used the steps I outlined for Vista.**

I'm sure that you've most likely attempted this, but we're going to try and update the files that contain the Visual C++ DLLs that are used in the side by side manifest of msnmsgr.exe.

Click on your Start Menu.
    Click on Control Panel.
    Under "Programs" click on "Uninstall a program".
    The programs window will then compile all of the programs installed on your computer. You want to scroll down until you locate any entry with the following:
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x## #.#.#####.##

If you find one or more files there, make a note of them. We will try and fix the problem here and now, but if it doesn't work, I need you to give me all the information you can.

Leave this window open, and don't uninstall anything.

The next step is to download the Visual C++ 2008 redistributable and the Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Service Pack.

Install each of those, in the order downloaded and AS AN ADMINISTRATOR, and you should be fine.

If this does not fix the problem, we will need to uninstall and reinstall some things.

With your Uninstall Programs window still open (Ahhh, see why we left it open?) Uninstall each of the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 entries that you find. Following this, we need to uninstall Microsoft Live Messenger itself, this can be accomplished by scrolling down in your "Uninstall Programs" window to "Windows Live Essentials 2011" (Assuming you're using 2011). Double click on this entry and uninstall EVERY WINDOWS LIVE PROGRAM in the window that comes up.

Following this, you should restart your computer.

Once booted up, reinstall Windows Live Messenger, and then each of the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 redistributables that I linked to above.

This should fix your problem for you.
    If this didn't work for you, tell me what programs you found under the Uninstall Programs window for your Visual C++ 2008 Redistributables.

Good luck, and I know it may seem like you're just doing the same things over and over again but doing them in a specific order and specific way is the key sometimes.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.