Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!

I love reading journal articles; I do the textbook readings, but they're usually very stale. I get real enjoyment out of going on Westlaw and finding related journal articles.

Am I wasting my time? I usually read about four a week, and I'm currently revising so reading as many as possible.

Are there any benefits to reading them on top of textbook readings? Will it put you in good stead for exams?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    They are essential for most essay questions if you want to get a high 2:1 or first

They can be very good at explaining particular points/areas in more detail and with more clarity than you can get in any textbook, without you having to take the time to read all the cases and go on a textbook treasure hunt. If they help you revise, go for it.

ReputationRep:
    I also find they're good for problem questions. Admittedly not as much use as in essays but it helps me to come to a conclusion if i can say "The law is either this or this. However, *insert name of academic here* argues that the law should be this because of this and so this is what i think the answer should be". It also shows wider thinking in them, for example, "This principle is illustrated by the bizarre decision in this case. It is highly criticised by academics such as *insert name* because of this and so this shows that etc etc"

So yeah, use them for revision. They can really clarify points. Last year, i spent most of the year on a 2.2. I read loads of articles when i was revising and shot up to a mid 2.1 and above in my papers. They're very useful - just make sure you know the basics from the textbook first.

ReputationRep:
    Journals are very good. As someone has mentioned they are more useful for essay questions rather than problem questions. Problem questions tend to use primary law sources such as cases to answer questions. Whereas with an essay you can make a point and then make a counter point, and sort of argue with yourself/the reader using the journal articles.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I was wandering if you could help me also with your advice on my blog

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1489223

cheers, jonny x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.