Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Uni Choices help? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I've got four conditionals from Sussex, Cardiff, Kent and Exeter (Cornwall Campus) to study History.
    I dont know which one to pick! I love all of them for different reasons, they all suit me to a certain extent.
    Anyone got any opinions?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Well according to the guardian 2011 university list, the best uni to choose would be exeter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jesobel)
    So I've got four conditionals from Sussex, Cardiff, Kent and Exeter (Cornwall Campus) to study History.
    I dont know which one to pick! I love all of them for different reasons, they all suit me to a certain extent.
    Anyone got any opinions?
    Thanks
    Have you drawn up a pros and cons list?

ReputationRep:
    Exeter probably has the best reputation, but if you like one of the others then go for it.

ReputationRep:
    Cardiff, I would say that since it is my home city...

You should the one where you feel your potential will be maximised and where you will be happy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    Have you drawn up a pros and cons list?
    Yes, they all have the same amount of pros and cons. The only thing is is I get that WHEEY feeling when I visit Kent because I love it there so much. BUT, I want to do a Law conversion course afterwards in London and then hopefully become a Lawyer. If that was the case Il probably be fighting of a lot of competition from other Unis that are higher then Kent. Yes its more about what class degree I get, but there going to pick the candidate who got the degree from the more prestigous university right? so confused!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, they all have the same amount of pros and cons. The only thing is is I get that WHEEY feeling when I visit Kent because I love it there so much. BUT, I want to do a Law conversion course afterwards in London and then hopefully become a Lawyer. If that was the case Il probably be fighting of a lot of competition from other Unis that are higher then Kent. Yes its more about what class degree I get, but there going to pick the candidate who got the degree from the more prestigous university right? so confused!
    Kent has quite a reputable law department actually. I'd say sussex or kent, because i would find exeter too boring, and just far from everywhere. But thats just me.

I also suggest you do a pros ad cons list for each place you're considering

ReputationRep:
    Amount doesn't really matter, more what weight you put on them. For example, a person could have ten cons for Option A ... but they're all minor and resolvable. Whilst they only have one or two cons for Option B, but they're pretty big ones and can't be disregarded. What are your lists? Easier for people to offer advice if they know what you're thinking.

Not a law expert, but I don't think uni matters to get onto the conversion course, and uni for the conversion course will only matter if you want to do certain things. If you want to work in a Magic Circle firm, then it matters; if you want to be a high street solicitor, not so much.

ReputationRep:
    Have you visited the Cornwall Campus of Exeter? When I visited last year, I really disliked it. It's ridiculously small and just seems in it's own little world cut off from the rest of the UK in Falmouth. Also, Falmouth seemed to be tiny and the closest place of a decent population was Truro which was about 20 minutes away in a car! That's my two cents anyways ...

ReputationRep:
    Come to Cardiff based on the nightlife and the city in general, I love it. And the unis not bad either

ReputationRep:
    If Kent gives you that feeling then Id go for it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    Amount doesn't really matter, more what weight you put on them. For example, a person could have ten cons for Option A ... but they're all minor and resolvable. Whilst they only have one or two cons for Option B, but they're pretty big ones and can't be disregarded. What are your lists? Easier for people to offer advice if they know what you're thinking.

Not a law expert, but I don't think uni matters to get onto the conversion course, and uni for the conversion course will only matter if you want to do certain things. If you want to work in a Magic Circle firm, then it matters; if you want to be a high street solicitor, not so much.
    Sussex - Didnt like it that much when I visited and the accomodation wasnt that amazing when i saw it because Id really prefer ensuite and there arent many rooms with that. However, I would prefer to be on a campus and the History course is quite nice. I love Brighton and It would be quite close to home, because I'm in London.

Exeter - Never seen it but Ive heard its quite small and theres about 700 people per year therfore it may be a bit difficult making friends etc and its quite far away. However, it is Exeter university which is highly prestigious and its guranteed accomodation with ensuite and a double bed (brilllliant!) and the course is more politically based which I like because if I dont go into Law I would consider a career in Politics because Im really enjoying it at ALEVEL. And I Love cornwall. Also, Smaller classes so could get more individual attention?

Cardiff - Was always my first choice till I saw Kent. Love the area as its busy but quiet at the same time. Its far enough from home but close enough. Course is interesting but it has alot about welsh History which seems interesting but I dont know if I would enjoy it that much. The accomodation looks Very nice and theres so many students it would be easier to make friends Also a my best mates going there and my other mate is already at UWIC and she absolutley loves it there. However, biggest let down is that its not a campus and I think id rather a campus. The Law department is very good also if I was thinking of a conversion there.

Kent - Loved it. So easy to get back to London and the Campus is beautiful. It has the right amount of nightlife which I would want and you graduate in Canterbury Catherdral! Accomodation is so nice. Its my faveourite course as it has so much choice and the tutors I met there are really nice! Downside is that its not as repetable as the others but does that even matter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supernova92)
    Kent has quite a reputable law department actually. I'd say sussex or kent, because i would find exeter too boring, and just far from everywhere. But thats just me.

I also suggest you do a pros ad cons list for each place you're considering

Yes I have heard the Law departments very good as well Ahhh I love Kent. I think my leaning is towards that. Its just Kent is offering me the least grades wise?

ReputationRep:
    Well from your last post, I would say chose Kent as your firm
    If you're still stuck, I say go and visit and unis again (post-offer open day) and talk to students about the course so you know what you're getting yourself into

ReputationRep:
    I visited both exeter and kent when my sister was applying for law, and I have to say kent was nicer in pretty much every way.
    plus, there's bluwater

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laura94)
    I visited both exeter and kent when my sister was applying for law, and I have to say kent was nicer in pretty much every way.
    plus, there's bluwater
    Bluewater is a definate PRO! :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Okayyyy, Kent it is!! Thanks guys

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.