Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

You'll make someone a lovely wife/husband one day Watch

ReputationRep:
    What's the meaning of this phrase: "You'll make someone a lovely ***** one day."

Is it meant in a flattering or ironic way?

And it would also help if someone could please give an example of a context in which it could be used. Thanks.

If you want to say it to a girl as a compliment, would you tell her "You'll make someone a lovely wife" OR "You'll make someone a lovely husband"?

ReputationRep:
    It means you won't make them a good wife/husband, but they are trying to let you down easily. Not sure why it would come up unless you've just failed epically with a proposal or something though.

ReputationRep:
    they don't fancy you. leave them alone.

A polite way of saying your ugly? Who knows?

ReputationRep:
      umm i think its a compliment. Last time I was told that was when I finished with my ex and he knew there was no chance of getting back with me...come to think of it, he was probably bein sarky! still took it as a compliment thou

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by OceanInTheSky)
      It means you won't make them a good wife/husband, but they are trying to let you down easily. Not sure why it would come up unless you've just failed epically with a proposal or something though.
      I'm a bit confused. Would you tell a guy "You'll make someone a lovely wife one day" OR "You'll make someone a lovely husband one day"?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Anti-Everything)
      I'm a bit confused. Would you tell a guy "You'll make someone a lovely wife one day" OR "You'll make someone a lovely husband one day"?
      do you speak english? dear lord.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by yahyahyah)
      do you speak english? dear lord.
      Dear Lord. Can you answer the question?

I think its not that straight-forward because it can depend on whether it was meant in a flattering or teasing way. For example, if a guy has feminine qualities, someone may tell him "You'll make someone a lovely wife one day" to tease him.

But if it was meant in a flattering, then it would probably be "You'll make someone a lovely husband one day". That's why I'm asking.

ReputationRep:
      I say it to my sister if she cooks me food/ washes my clothes. I haven't really heard it been used otherwise.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Sternumator)
      I say it to my sister if she cooks me food/ washes my clothes. I haven't really heard it been used otherwise.
      Hey thanks for the reply. Do you tell her "You'll make someone a lovely wife one day" OR "You'll make someone a lovely husband one day"? Sorry I'm just confused and wanna make sure how it is used when meant as a compliment. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
      Hey thanks for the reply. Do you tell her "You'll make someone a lovely wife one day" OR "You'll make someone a lovely husband one day"? Sorry I'm just confused and wanna make sure how it is used when meant as a compliment. Thanks.
      Wife= female
      Husband= male

You get that, right? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
      I've only heard it said to people who're a bit of a walkover to be honest =P Like the last time I heard it was when one of my flatmates said it to the other, because she is always the one to do all the cooking and cleaning and everything else. I suppose whether it is a compliment or not it depends on whether you want to spend your life running after people and looking after them

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by riotgrrl)
      Wife= female
      Husband= male

You get that, right? :lolwut:
      Yes I do but I'm obviously having trouble with the phrasing of the sentence. Couldn't you just answer the question rather than asking one yourself?

ReputationRep:
      It depends in which context it's been said.
      Is it someone likely to be taking the Michael out of you?
      Or genuinely you could have spousal potential.

Just as an example, I get told all the time that I make perfect wife material, by friends, boyfrends, anyone really.
      It's not an insult, I just think some girls/boys have that kind of 'I'm not going to grind your butt to extinction in this club' vibe off them.

Normally you're just a good girl, who bakes cakes, and have a pelvis that can pop babies out.

ReputationRep:
      Yes I do but I'm obviously having trouble with the phrasing of the sentence. Couldn't you just answer the question rather than asking one yourself?
      I don't see how, I'm sorry. Why would you tell your sister (ie. a female) that she'll make someone a lovely husband (ie. a male) someday? Whether it's a compliment or not depends on your point of view, but obviously you're always going to refer to a female as a wife and a male as a husband.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.