Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, im really stuck on this exam question. I have no idea of how to get around answering it:

"The 3-quark model originated from a theory that explained the properties of baryons and mesons. Show that the 3-Quark model explains why there are just 4 charged mesons."

I understand that there are only 4 charged mesons but i don't know how to explain why

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0kXkWXSXRA - This will tell all

ReputationRep:
    It's been a while (well, a year!) since AS physics and I can't be bothered finding my data sheet but basically, fit the three quarks together in as many combinations (pairs!!) as you can think of which produce either +1 or -1 charged mesons. Apparently there should only be four.

ReputationRep:
    thanks guys! heres my answer:

A charged meson consists of a combination of two quarks (one of which is an antiquark) which results in an overall charge of +1 or -1. There are only four combinations which apply: *i listed the four combinations*

what do you think?

ReputationRep:
    What are the four combinations???

ReputationRep:
    up anti-down (+1), down anti-up (-1), up anti-strange (+1), strange anti-up (-1)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.