Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I hear a rumour that 2012 applicants are getting the best of the deal, as we will face a smaller competition due to 2011 applicants rushing for places.

How do you think this will affect offers and how many people get university places in 2012?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smuke)
    I hear a rumour that 2012 applicants are getting the best of the deal, as we will face a smaller competition due to 2011 applicants rushing for places.

How do you think this will affect offers and how many people get university places in 2012?
    It probably won't make much difference at all. You certainly won't have the grade put down.

ReputationRep:
    I think us 2012 applicants will see a tiny marginal decrease in new applicants due to manner in which many of our age group have taken the fee increase. I can live in hope anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be going into 2nd year of 6th form in 2011. So that means uni in 2012, or gap year

woop?

ReputationRep:
    I know many top unis will be rising their requirements again for next year. I dont anyone will experience a huge benefit from applying in 2012

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by siwelmail)
    I'll be going into 2nd year of 6th form in 2011. So that means uni in 2012, or gap year

woop?
    no, you'll be paying more fees and read below - the only courses to benefit - as in the grades going lower - are going to be courses like.. media studies or ones that you don't really need.
    (Original post by NGC773)
    I know many top unis will be rising their requirements again for next year. I dont anyone will experience a huge benefit from applying in 2012

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Summergirl.x)
    no, you'll be paying more fees and read below - the only courses to benefit - as in the grades going lower - are going to be courses like.. media studies or ones that you don't really need.
    The government has said it will give more money through grants and bursuries next year.

ReputationRep:
    *******s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anttooking)
    The government has said it will give more money through grants and bursuries next year.
    yeah for those ones with parent's incomes that aren't that high.. but for the rest of us we're paying thousands more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Summergirl.x)
    yeah for those ones with parent's incomes that aren't that high.. but for the rest of us we're paying thousands more.
    Well gota give help to ppl who need it most.

+ It isn't like they want the money up front ( they do but you get a loan ).

+ They won't break your legs if you dont pay. I think there quite resonable.

ReputationRep:
    Well gota give help to ppl who need it most.

+ It isn't like they want the money up front ( they do but you get a loan ).

+ They won't break your legs if you dont pay. I think there quite resonable.
    heyyyy, i was never arguing against it! just stating the facts!

ReputationRep:
    never gonna happen unfortunately mate. All a lie again.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-12121591

ReputationRep:
    Trying not to be thick as **** here, but I've heard two things:

1. 2012 applicants have been **** on from a great height, everyone feel sorry for them bla bla
    2. It's actually going to benefit them more even though the fee's are insane.

Thoughts please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clairdelunee)
    Trying not to be thick as **** here, but I've heard two things:

1. 2012 applicants have been **** on from a great height, everyone feel sorry for them bla bla
    2. It's actually going to benefit them more even though the fee's are insane.

Thoughts please?
    Putting it polite if your parents don't earn much then you will be better of but if your in the middle working class then you would be worst of at the end of the degree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MylesXD)
    Putting it polite if your parents don't earn much then you will be better of but if your in the middle working class then you would be worst of at the end of the degree
    What do you mean by middle working class?

But that kinda sucks, even though I'm probably from the lowest family income bracket. Especially since education is a human right and all that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clairdelunee)
    What do you mean by middle working class?

But that kinda sucks, even though I'm probably from the lowest family income bracket. Especially since education is a human right and all that.
    Well if your parents earn less than £26,000 you are better off and get financial support form the government, that you don't pay back. And also more support is yet to be determined "discount on accommodation, one year free tuition".

The only different to the working class is that everyone will get the min loan of £3750, and when they finish the degree they will pay back more than they would if they were to study this year( Well nearly 4x they normal would depending on what the uni charges for tuition) . To be honest everyone will easily be able to cope with the change just depends if you want huge debt on your hands , I m personally unlucky and lucky because i have to pay £8250 for my tuition but most of its paid by my government

ReputationRep:
    I'll be applying in 2011, for 2012 entry.
    Mainly because I didn't know what I wanted to study (stupid of me, I know)

But everyone is cacking their pants for some reason. The majority of graduates are still paying of their debts well into their 40's (going by what my teachers say).

And are universities definitely going to bump up the tuition fees to £9k? Surely the universities outside of the Russel Group wont bump up their fees or they will get literally no applicants....

I don't mind paying off a debt for a long time if its not too noticeable from my salary whenever I get into full time employment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeMH)
    I'll be applying in 2011, for 2012 entry.
    Mainly because I didn't know what I wanted to study (stupid of me, I know)

But everyone is cacking their pants for some reason. The majority of graduates are still paying of their debts well into their 40's (going by what my teachers say).

And are universities definitely going to bump up the tuition fees to £9k? Surely the universities outside of the Russel Group wont bump up their fees or they will get literally no applicants....

I don't mind paying off a debt for a long time if its not too noticeable from my salary whenever I get into full time employment.
    Every university that whats funding from the UK government will have to increase tuition fee's because teaching grants have been cut so something has to make up for the money they have lost. You will either pay minimum of £6000 or maximum of £9000

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MylesXD)
    Every university that whats funding from the UK government will have to increase tuition fee's because teaching grants have been cut so something has to make up for the money they have lost. You will either pay minimum of £6000 or maximum of £9000
    Douche-bags

ReputationRep:
    No point in applying to uni in 2012 you know why ?

The worlds gonna end haha !

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.