Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you stop yourself from reading too much of a book in one day? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've read five chapters today, and I stopped myself from reading any more until tomorrow. Does anyone else do this?

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    No... Unless i have to be somewhere/go out, i'll usually keep reading.

ReputationRep:
    It depends. If I want to savour the book (and do something else with my day): YES. If I want to read the whole book asap: NO.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I just think I might as well read it whilst I have the time to enjoy it rather than stop reading and then be bored for the rest of the day.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes- like just now I only took one book home with me for christmas because I expect to get at least another one or two as presents, but now I'm getting near the end I'm trying to slow down incase I finish too fast (I like to read before I sleep, so I don't want to "run out of book" :p:)

ReputationRep:
    No. I only ever stop reading if I really have to do something else/go somewhere. If I can stop for any other reason, it hasn't gripped me well enough!

ReputationRep:
    If I am particularly enjoying a book, I may slow my pace and even re-read certain passages or pages that I like but I rarely consciously stop myself from reading 'too much' of a book unless I have nothing to start reading afterwards.

Currently, I am reading a collection of Jorge Luis Borges short stories which has been very erratic in quality. Tonight, I reached a particular high point and a few of the better stories all followed each other, so I read these at a significantly slower pace than the stories I did not enjoy so much which I absolutely ploughed through to get past them.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    No, unless i really want to watch something or go somewhere.
    Other than that, i can read books forever.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. If I want to continue reading it, then I will. If I'm tired or have something else to do, I stop. I won't force myself to stop.

ReputationRep:
    you cut me open and i keep reading i keep keep reading

ReputationRep:
    no there are alot of books i have finished in one or two days...i love books

Sometimes. There is a fine line between something that is so readable that you just can't stop reading and those that you are really enjoying but are not so enchanted by. Generally the former I will read in one sitting, or various sittings in one or two days, whereas the latter I tend to spread over, say, four or five days. The case is usually that the latter is more complex in style or content, so taking breaks from it allows me to digest it a little better and appreciate the subtleties that perhaps don't exist in the 'less complex' book. Obviously, fatigue plays a big part in these decisions too.

ReputationRep:
      I do this if I'm really enjoying a book and I want to make it last.

ReputationRep:
      No, I have no self-control though

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.