Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know any retail banks that offer loans for graduates with a secured job for the future but who are currently out of work?

I graduated from Uni in June and have since been accepted onto a Grad scheme at a BB in front office starting in Aug 2011. I'm looking to go travelling for the next 6 months, but am short of cash. The problem is I'm paid the sign on fee in my first month's salary and my bank say they cannot offer me a loan now as I'm basically u/e. I'd appreciate if anyone could lead me in the right direction. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I don't imagine "I've got a job next year" holds any sway with banks unfortunately.

Get a job for the $$ and then go travelling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimmynicol)
    Does anyone know any retail banks that offer loans for graduates with a secured job for the future but who are currently out of work?

I graduated from Uni in June and have since been accepted onto a Grad scheme at a BB in front office starting in Aug 2011. I'm looking to go travelling for the next 6 months, but am short of cash. The problem is I'm paid the sign on fee in my first month's salary and my bank say they cannot offer me a loan now as I'm basically u/e. I'd appreciate if anyone could lead me in the right direction. Thanks!
    Ask the bank that you're holding an offer with.

My friend was in the same position and the bank he was going to work for were happy to give him an advance on his sign on, i.e. a loan against it.

ReputationRep:
    I tried this in the past. Unfortunately my job was with a fund manager rather than an ib with a retail arm, so I couldn't ask my future employer for the money.

I took my contract as well as degree certificate to every bank on the high street, none gave me a loan. It was because the contract was conditional, ie. I could have failed the criminal record check for example.

ReputationRep:
    Doubt it, but you can get the dole which is free money . . . yay! I wouldn't ask for an advance, it might make your employer think you can't save/budget.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Einheri)
    Doubt it, but you can get the dole which is free money . . . yay! I wouldn't ask for an advice, it might make your employ think you can't save/budget.
    O noez!! he can DCF and WACC till 4am but we tink he can't "save/budget"!! withdraw the contractssss!!!

You can ask them whatever the hell you want (within reason). You've signed a contract with them. That means they want you. Asking for couple grand now rather than later isn't going to get them thinking anything, let alone taking your job away. Worst they can do is say no.

Ask friends.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 21, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.