Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm rather confused about this, my first piece is in on Tuesday and my teacher hasn't been clear about the specifics of the word count (I can't access the Edexcel History site for some reason so I thought I'd ask here)

Does the wordcount include quotations, bibliography and footnotes?

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    Is this the Part A Assessment in A2?

I am doing mine on Parnell now and am doing 1,900 words. You have a maximum of 4,000 words combined with each part. Only the main body (with quotes) is counted.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, that was it

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    do any of you know if there is like an over the limit thing where you can go over by 10% or something like that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesSimonHudson)
    do any of you know if there is like an over the limit thing where you can go over by 10% or something like that?
    Nope, they don't allow any excess at all. Cut-off point is 4,000 words exactly for part a) and part b).

ReputationRep:
    Yeah they stop reading at 4000 words. Make sure you have an accumulative word count on every page Only the main text though, so don't do accumulative word count on you bibliography which should be after part a.
    Good luck. So glad that hellish week and a bit of my life is over

ReputationRep:
    its 4000 for the entire cw

my teacher says 2300 for part B and 1700 for part A

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infernalcradle)
    its 4000 for the entire cw

my teacher says 2300 for part B and 1700 for part A
    whatt? that's not fair :/ we were told 2000 each with 100 word max either way. I hours trying to get the word counts even!

ReputationRep:
    It's 4000 for both pieces, this does not include the bibliography (if you have one) but may include footnotes (mine didn't). Always best to check with individual schools / colleges though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Summergirl.x)
    whatt? that's not fair :/ we were told 2000 each with 100 word max either way. I hours trying to get the word counts even!
    well, you have 4000 words....

and cos part B is over a 100 yr period...we are allowed 2300 max on that and 1700 on part A as thats a depth study....

ReputationRep:
    The spec says that they advise 2000 for each part, so 4000 in total.
    Cumulative word counts should be included at the bottom of each page - if, on one page, this exceeds the count, then the moderator will stop marking at the point they believe is the word count.

Footnotes don't count, but any references in the main body e.g "The Irish Famine was bad" (Kinesthetic, 2011) that is in brackets DO count, and so do the actual quotations.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.