Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    HELP ME!

I've had a really bad cough all day today. Yesterday, the worst symptom was a sore throat, so I've got loads of strepsils and throat sweets and beechams, but last night and today its the cough... and nothing stops it.

I don't have any cough syrup, and being a Sunday, I haven't been able to get out to a pharmacist, and the local one is closed. Can anyone suggest anything to give temporary relief so that I can get some sleep? I've tried honey and hot water, and beechams and paracetomol and throat sweets. Even had hot apple and blackcurrant... nothing helps.

For the record, its a gut wrenching cough. Really dry sometimes, like nothing's there, and other times its chesty, and painful to the point that it feels like my lungs want to come out. It constantly feels like I've got something in my throat, and I've been trying to drink as much as I can, but the cough is giving me a sore throat and sore chest, and it hurts like hell.

I'm so drained, I just want sleep.

Any suggestions will get rep.

ReputationRep:
    If you have a blue inhaler that might help, usually takes coughs of mine like that away as soon as i take it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by userdloat)
    If you have a blue inhaler that might help, usually takes coughs of mine like that away as soon as i take it!
    Unfortunatly no such inhaler. I'll rep you anyway. I've managed to clear up the cough (a lot of will power) but at the expense of my throat and voice.

ReputationRep:
    You may have a chest infection
    I'm feeling exactly the same but with aching ribs too
    sorry I'm not much help but yeah I think hot drinks will work for a while cause they have wiTh me
    but yeah going to the doctors asap would be best so they can give you that yellow banana medicine
    get well soon

ReputationRep:
    I had the flu last week and had a throat that felt like razor blades. I found some sites that said gargling salt water is supposed to help and I found it did.

ReputationRep:
    Ah man, cured the cough, but now I'm sneezing every 2 minutes! Blast my health!

ReputationRep:
    Hope you feel better soon, thanks for the rep Was exactly the same last week with coughing and sneezing everywhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by linkdapink)
    HELP ME!

I've had a really bad cough all day today. Yesterday, the worst symptom was a sore throat, so I've got loads of strepsils and throat sweets and beechams, but last night and today its the cough... and nothing stops it.

I don't have any cough syrup, and being a Sunday, I haven't been able to get out to a pharmacist, and the local one is closed. Can anyone suggest anything to give temporary relief so that I can get some sleep? I've tried honey and hot water, and beechams and paracetomol and throat sweets. Even had hot apple and blackcurrant... nothing helps.

For the record, its a gut wrenching cough. Really dry sometimes, like nothing's there, and other times its chesty, and painful to the point that it feels like my lungs want to come out. It constantly feels like I've got something in my throat, and I've been trying to drink as much as I can, but the cough is giving me a sore throat and sore chest, and it hurts like hell.

I'm so drained, I just want sleep.

Any suggestions will get rep.
    I had the exact same thing last week. What I did was take paracetamol for the pain every four hours and took some very strong cough medicine and stayed in bed for four days. Keep yourself propped up so you are sat upright, and it will stop you coughing as much.

A good tip I learned from a friend who is a nurse is to get some hot water, put it in a large bowl, put some vapour in there like Vicks and put your head over it to breathe in the vapours. It loosens the stuff inside your lungs and makes it easier to bring it up. It's not pleasant but it does the trick!

I hope you get better soon Keep yourself dosed up on cough medicine and try the vapour trick and see how it goes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by linkdapink)
    Ah man, cured the cough, but now I'm sneezing every 2 minutes! Blast my health!
    Lucky for some, I've had a cough for the last week...it's less bad than it was but still...

Cough medicine does hardly anything and tastes revolting.

Might try this 'gargling saltwater' thing said above...sounds tasty but if it works I won't complain :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Ugh, sucks doesn't it? I have the same thing atm - it started 1hr before my Oxford interview where I threw up! (Not nerves, because I was feeling quite happy.)

Had to fly for 12+ hours with this bloody virus, too, so not cool. ><

What I did so that I wouldn't be in pain on the flight: Took Paracetamol AND Ibuprofen together - something the school nurse taught me to do, if you aren't sure which will work better for your symptoms. There's nothing wrong with it, it's pretty safe.
    Since you found your cough so painful, I'm privy to say that the Ibuprofen will help - it's the anti-inflammatory one, whereas Paracetamol isn't.

(Only do this if you're over 16, and don't use if you're allergic to either, though.) The occasional Strepsils and LOADS of water helps, too, so you're on the right track.

Also, if you can't sleep at night because of a very blocked sinus, I find Piriton/Piritin(?) at night helps. Or go with some Olbasol and Vicks if you prefer.

You're not the only one - there's a massive epidemic of flu and such across the UK. We had 84 peeps off school on Wednesday.

Feel better, though! I know how much it sucks. ><

ReputationRep:
    Cheers guys! I feel strange today. My cough is sort of gone, my sore throat is sort of gone, my sneezes have sort of gone... but I still feel like I've been beaten up. It's like I'm sort-of ill... its like my body is teasing me with being better.

ReputationRep:
    I've had this about 3 times a year (every time I get a cold) since I was really small, and have been in and out of hospital with it several times. This year however, I was asked to try a Flixotide (think that's what it's called, steroid basically) inhaler- which I have to take 2 puffs twice a day, everyday. Since starting taking that back in September, I've had two colds, and NO cough, which is amazing for me, and I never ever ever thought that I'd be in this position.

It won't help you in the short term, but just an idea to ask the doctor about if it's something that affects you more than just a one-off.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 20, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.