The Student Room Group

Laptop for engineering course (HELP)

Salutations TSR,

My old laptop died a couple of days ago so now I have a good reason to get a new one for next year :biggrin:

Which one would be the best for Mechanical engineering course?
running Matlab, Cad and other eng. softwares?

I am currently looking at Intel core i7 processor
one is DUO Core 2.83Ghz each and one is quad core 1.73Ghz each
my budget is 500-700 pounds.

Any advice??
Reply 1
The duo
Reply 2
To be honest, any i7 should have no bother running any engineering software. I have an i5 and it does just fine.
I purchased i5 duo today =))) works brilliant !
Why spend hundreds of pounds on a fancy laptop then hundreds of pounds more on the software when you can just do all your work on university computers? I honestly don't know anyone who has actually bought engineering software for their personal use.
Original post by united.spammers
Why spend hundreds of pounds on a fancy laptop then hundreds of pounds more on the software when you can just do all your work on university computers? I honestly don't know anyone who has actually bought engineering software for their personal use.

When I was in Loughborough, they told us they will provide us with licensed softwares for personal use. It's nice because if you need to do something you can just do it in the halls with a warm cup of tea.
Original post by kaosu_souzousha
When I was in Loughborough, they told us they will provide us with licensed softwares for personal use. It's nice because if you need to do something you can just do it in the halls with a warm cup of tea.

Man, I should've gone to Loughbrough
Reply 7

Yeah, same deal at Cambridge.
Original post by Jammie1
Yeah, same deal at Cambridge.

It's really nice because you can do as much work as you want on your personal machine rather than using a public one for a limited time. Also you save yourself a fortune :biggrin:
Reply 9

Salutations TSR,

My old laptop died a couple of days ago so now I have a good reason to get a new one for next year :biggrin:

Any advice??

I would make sure it includes a graphics card as AutoCAD (and many other programs) are increasingly relying on graphics processing for 3D modelling.

Also, intel is set to blow the doors off CES with new Sandybrigde processors so if you can hold out for a month then you will get quite a bit more for your money
which would you say is better; windows or mac for engineering?
Probably Windows for AutoCAD and other software
Salutations TSR,

Any advice??

The duo will suffice. Generally almost every new laptop will run CAD or MATLAB software to a sufficient standard provided it doesn't have an integrated intel graphics card nor runs on a celeron processor. Generally.

My laptop is almost 1.5 years old, and consists of 4GB DDR2 RAM, a mediocre integrated ATI graphics card (can't remember off the top of my head) and some sort of basic core duo processor (I'm not on my laptop at the moment so I can't check its exact specifications). The latest AutoCAD and MATLAB software run perfectly.
Reply 13
HP's Beats Audio one. plus you get Beats headphones with it blad.

Quick Reply

Latest