ReputationRep:
    u=2x+1 works fine.

What do you want v for?

Post some working.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sohail.s)
    How would i integrate the following function :

\int^1_0 \sqrt {2x+1}\ dx

I'v never seen a problem like this before and my only guess was to use the substitution  u=2x+1 and v=u^{1/2} but that isn't getting me anywhere
    u=2x+1 is enough. Are you familiar with integration by substitution? You need to now differentiate the substitution and find the equivalent of dx in terms of du. Don't forget to change your limits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PerigeeApogee)
    That substitution should work.

u = 2x+1 \to du = 2\,dx

Limits:

x = 1 \to u = 3
     x = 0 \to u = 1

Hence:

\displaystyle I = \int_1^3 u^{\frac{1}{2}} .\, 2\,du = 2\int_1^3 u^{\frac{1}{2}} \, du
    You mean

\displaystyle I = \frac{1}{2}\int_1^3 u^{\frac{1}{2}} du

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PerigeeApogee)
    That substitution should work.

u = 2x+1 \to du = 2\,dx

Limits:

x = 1 \to u = 3
     x = 0 \to u = 1

Hence:

\displaystyle I = \int_1^3 u^{\frac{1}{2}} .\, 2\,du = 2\int_1^3 u^{\frac{1}{2}} \, du
    Woah slow down, that's not correct.

du/dx = 2 therefore du = 2dx which is correct. However we are replacing dx with du so we need dx in terms of du, dx = du/2

So we have the integral of \displaystyle\frac{u^{1/2}}{2} du, which is very different entirely.

ReputationRep:
    You could aslo use the chain rule

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sohail.s)
    is .2 before du supposed to mean multiply by 2 or a half?
    It's multiplying by a half. I recommend that you go and re-read the chapter on integration by substitution. It makes a lot more sense when you actually know what the method is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soup)
    You could aslo use the chain rule
    This is integration and NOT differentiation.
    • PS Helper

For some reason, questions like this came up in my C3 before I'd done integration by substitution (which is in C4 on OCR). They can be solved by inspection without the need for a substitution (as such): if you know that (ax+b)^n differentiates to an(ax+b)^{n-1} (by the chain rule), then going backwards reveals that \displaystyle \int (ax+b)^n\, dx = \dfrac{(ax+b)^{n+1}}{a(n+1)} + C. Here, you have (2x+1)^{\frac{1}{2}}, so you can integrate it using that result. Note that you can't apply this result to any other type of function; for example you wouldn't be able to integrate \sqrt{x^2+1} using this result.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farhan.Hanif93)
    This is integration and NOT differentiation.
    Yeah I meant the "chain rule" for integration. See nuodai's post

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soup)
    Yeah I meant the "chain rule" for integration. See nuodai's post
    nuodai's post is the reverse chain rule (I know everyone hates that phrase), which is not the same thing as the chain rule itself. I think the preferred name for it is integration by inspection/recognition. Saying it's the chain rule is a bit misleading.

ReputationRep:
    nuodai's post is the reverse chain rule (I know everyone hates that phrase), which is not the same thing as the chain rule itself. I think the preferred name for it is integration by inspection/recognition. Saying it's the chain rule is a bit misleading.
    I didn't know what to call it. I just refer to it as the chain rule for integration
    • PS Helper

The reverse chain rule is just integration by substitution:
    \displaystyle \frac{d f(g(x))}{dx} = f'(g(x))g'(x) \implies \int f'(g(x))g'(x)\, dx = f(g(x))+C
    (...at least this result holds for A-level stuff)

Technically, I did use the chain rule, because my result was derived by differentiating something using the chain rule, but I did it in a way that kind of required me to already know the result before I used it. As such, saying "use the chain rule" isn't particularly helpful unless you already know this method... so you're kind of both right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuodai)
    For some reason, questions like this came up in my C3 before I'd done integration by substitution (which is in C4 on OCR). They can be solved by inspection without the need for a substitution (as such): if you know that (ax+b)^n differentiates to an(ax+b)^{n-1} (by the chain rule), then going backwards reveals that \displaystyle \int (ax+b)^n\, dx = \dfrac{(ax+b)^{n+1}}{a(n+1)} + C. Here, you have (2x+1)^{\frac{1}{2}}, so you can integrate it using that result. Note that you can't apply this result to any other type of function; for example you wouldn't be able to integrate \sqrt{x^2+1} using this result.

how would you calculate the last equation you wrote then?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.