Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I've been pretty miserable since starting secondary school (I'm now in 1st year at Uni). I live in the tiniest crappiest town ever with nothing but drugs and benefits for most people. Theres only one school here and it's the 2nd worst in Scotland. (that's just in terms of results,theres NO extra-cirricualrs or other support)
    I was really unhappy the whole time. Got badly bullied (mostly by this boy who's in prison for putting a firework through someones letterbox). Anyways, after 4 years of name calling pushing, stealing, ignoring, threatening...I had had enough and after one boy referred to my home as a "hole in the ground, made of ****" I slapped him. So anyways the school tries to get me to apologise and then they try to expel me.
    This is when I told my mum about all the bullying (she just thought I was a not happy person in general) and she told the school if they expelled me she would sue them or some ****. But then I overheard her talking to her friends making fun of me saying "she must just be a violent person, I think she fancied the boy" WTF? Way to belittle 4 years of constant abuse mum.
    Throughout my time at school I kept skin my mum if we could move away. If I could try and get a scholarship/bursary to a better school...anything! Now she says I never asked this at all.

Me and my mum just had an argument about this as now Im at Uni I'm surrounded by well off people or people who's parents worked hard to send them to a good school. Or they have so much confidence etc. Its just horrible to watch when I worked so hard at school but still didn't get into the right course.

I'm just genrally fed up and feel I've been let down. Am I justified in feeling this way?

ReputationRep:
    If you want to move away then do so, but you may have to rely on yourself here.

Whether you feel justified or not is up to you but your mum probably did the best under the circumstances.

You were bullied is a fact, so you might as well try and make your peace with that. Not saying its easy or belittling it but it is in the past, you need to let it go.

As for how you feel about where you live, well, either you take it upon yourself to move away (as one of my mates did from where he came from) or you make your peace with your locality.

Best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Billydodger)
    Me and my mum just had an argument about this as now Im at Uni I'm surrounded by well off people or people who's parents worked hard to send them to a good school. Or they have so much confidence etc. Its just horrible to watch when I worked so hard at school but still didn't get into the right course.

I'm just genrally fed up and feel I've been let down. Am I justified in feeling this way?
    My upbringing was not as unfortunate but I still suffer from dissatisfaction especially whne i look at other ppl who r confident and have betteer edeucation.

justified i think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Studentus-anonymous)

Whether you feel justified or not is up to you but your mum probably did the best under the circumstances.

You were bullied is a fact, so you might as well try and make your peace with that. Not saying its easy or belittling it but it is in the past, you need to let it go.

As for how you feel about where you live, well, either you take it upon yourself to move away (as one of my mates did from where he came from) or you make your peace with your locality.

Best of luck.
    That was so depressing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Studentus-anonymous)

Best of luck.
    Thanks for the input. Yeah, like I said, I have moved away-I'm at uni now. I like Edinburgh Uni but am just annoyed as I didn't get onto the course I wanted anywhere despite working hard and dealing with my mum's bipolar and dad's alcoholism...but you can't exact;y write that on a personal statement.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Life dealt you a **** hand. Unlucky mate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edd360)
    Life dealt you a **** hand. Unlucky mate.
    Thanks, big help. I'm a girl btw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRevolution)
    My upbringing was not as unfortunate but I still suffer from dissatisfaction especially whne i look at other ppl who r confident and have betteer edeucation.

justified i think
    Yeah that's exactly how I feel, which makes me even more annoyed as despite my best efforts, I'm still haunted by so much I couldn't control.

ReputationRep:
    Punch your mum in the c***.

ReputationRep:
    Many people have baggage that you won't neccessarily see or find out about, however confident and happy they seem. Just remember that, when it feels like everyone else has had a better start than you.

Yeah you probably are justified in feeling let down - seems like you've had a lot to deal with. Whether it's helpful to allow yourself to self-pity is another question.

Can you not switch course now you're at Edinburgh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mya369)
    Many people have baggage that you won't neccessarily see or find out about, however confident and happy they seem. Just remember that, when it feels like everyone else has had a better start than you.

Yeah you probably are justified in feeling let down - seems like you've had a lot to deal with. Whether it's helpful to allow yourself to self-pity is another question.

Can you not switch course now you're at Edinburgh?
    Yeah I know what you're saying. I just feel I've reached the end of my tether. I never sat and self pitied my situation before, I got a job and studied hard.

But no, there's literally no way of getting on a course for Medicine without finishing this degree and I've only done a semester and hate it!

ReputationRep:
    You don't really need to justify how you feel to anyone, its just not anyone elses right to judge how bad you feel your situation is.

I feel for you, I really do. I suggest talking to someone about how you feel when you are ready.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone is allowed to feel unhappy and that life is unfair - it often is - but it's unwise to focus on such feelings at the expense of thinking practically and making the best of things. You have to try to focus on the things you can do, rather than the things you can't. So maybe becoming a doctor is impossible*, but it's impossible for 99% of people, so you're hardly alone. There are undoubtedly other things you can do.

* unless you really, really, really want to do it, in which case you can just devote your whole life to doing whatever it takes at the expense of everything else, but few have that sort of motivation

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, big help. I'm a girl btw
    Well what were you expecting? The secret about how to make a **** life good? And I don't see what you being a girl has to do with anything, unless you are trying to chat me up or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edd360)
    Well what were you expecting? The secret about how to make a **** life good? And I don't see what you being a girl has to do with anything, unless you are trying to chat me up or something.
    Righteo. Well I just hope nothing bad happens in your life where you have to pull out some inner strength to deal with it.

ReputationRep:
    No, you can be unhappy if you want. :console:

ReputationRep:
    Righteo. Well I just hope nothing bad happens in your life where you have to pull out some inner strength to deal with it.
    You don't get it do you. You have no idea what problems I have or have previously had. But instead of wondering why this **** is happening and wasting time trying to solve it, the best thing you can actually do is acknowledge there is **** all you can do and do you're best to accept it. Put things into perspective. If the answer you are looking for is simple enough to be found on a student forum, believe me, you would have already found it. Best of luck to you....

EDIT: Actually, the answer you are looking for is very simple: Yes your feelings are justified.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 19, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.