The Student Room Group

Am I being too ambitious?

So I've taken my AS exams and I was pleased with them. I got a B in history which was better than I expected! :smile:

But by the end of A2 I want to have an A (as well as the fact that I need it to get into the university I want). But am I being too ambitious? :confused:

Some more info:

AQA exam board
AS results - 70% on one exam, 76% on the other, no re-takes.
This year - coursework and one exam

Is it actually possible to get from whats the equivalent of a low B to an A?? Is it possible if my coursework is flawless and then I get at least a high B in the exam??

Also, even if I don't get the A, I want to be a history teacher but is this a stupid idea if I can't actually get an A in the subject?! How can I teach it if I have students that are essentially better at the subject than me!? (as I want to teach in a secondary school)

Any help much appreicated and thanks in advance!!
Reply 1
History coursework is very, very, very hard (I did edexcel and the rise of the USA to globalism so it might be different for you but...), so I doubt you'd get it flawless - we flogged ourselves for months at our school and I don't think anybodys was flawless. I thought i'd mention it as so many people at my school hoped to do well in coursework to balance out exams and it ended up being the other way around. You may have talent in it though.
Original post by Alian
History coursework is very, very, very hard (I did edexcel and the rise of the USA to globalism so it might be different for you but...), so I doubt you'd get it flawless - we flogged ourselves for months at our school and I don't think anybodys was flawless. I thought i'd mention it as so many people at my school hoped to do well in coursework to balance out exams and it ended up being the other way around. You may have talent in it though.

The coursework is probably the easiest way to boost your marks. You have up to four - five months to write an essay, which you can redraft numerously.

To the OP if you put the work in, i don't think it would be too difficult to pull off 90% or above in the coursework module.
Reply 3
You want to be a teacher? Wtf? Crazy person...
Reply 4
Original post by LouyJay
So I've taken my AS exams and I was pleased with them. I got a B in history which was better than I expected! :smile:

But by the end of A2 I want to have an A (as well as the fact that I need it to get into the university I want). But am I being too ambitious? :confused:

Some more info:

AQA exam board

Is it actually possible to get from whats the equivalent of a low B to an A?? Is it possible if my coursework is flawless and then I get at least a high B in the exam??

Also, even if I don't get the A, I want to be a history teacher but is this a stupid idea if I can't actually get an A in the subject?! How can I teach it if I have students that are essentially better at the subject than me!? (as I want to teach in a secondary school)

My history coursework I got 89/90 ums (old system) so it is definetly possible to make up some marks on the coursework.
I think my history teacher only had BBC at A level so I dont think they make to much odds
Original post by LouyJay

Some more info:

AQA exam board

Not to sure on the maths of all that but you can be a teacher and teach people who are better than you. My history teacher has already admitted to us that there are several people in the class that are way better historians than himself. But these amazingly clever historians wouldn't make that good teachers because they've never known what it is like to really struggle at history - so how could they help their students? Sure they could tell them facts but so could a text book. Ps, my history teacher is like the best ever :biggrin: so glad I have him - I wouldn't have been able to do this well without him because he's the only one who understands me.
So don't give up dreams on becoming a history teacher :smile:
Just because you have a B at history a-level, does not mean that you can't do it at university, nor that you cannot then teach it. If you really want an A though, work very hard on coursework, and consider possibly retaking the 70%?
Reply 7
You don't have to go to a top university to be a teacher!
Reply 8
Original post by LouyJay

Some more info:

AQA exam board

By my calculations (although you might need to check since I haven't done maths since GCSE :P), you'll need to get at least 87% in your A2 to get an A overall. Which is by all means possible :smile: but you'll just have to work extra extra hard. But you have the drive and it seems the determination so with some hard work, I think you could do it! The coursework would be a great help so if you manage to do well in that, you'd definitely be on the way to an A. Good luck and believe in yourself, you might even surprise yourself on Results Day :smile:
Reply 9
My history teacher got a B at a level, and I had never taken History before having him as a teacher; now I love history. He is a great teacher and makes loads of difficult topics easy to understand.

The fact you want to try so hard makes it clear to see you have a passion for history, which in itself is a great reason to become a history teacher.

Good luck with getting the A

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending