Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    alrite ppl, just wanted to get a few opinions on things. im currently in my 2ndyr at uea doing film, and after having very nearly failed my first year i was hoping that this year was gonna go a little better. alas, it hasnt happened. just done a documentary module which was brill, and got an alrite mark, but my core module, film theory has a big essay due in for tomorrow which i havent done, and have also taken a history module as a free choice, for which i never did the big essay or the presentation for that either (if i decided to stay could still try an swat up for the 50% weighted exam tho)

thing is, im really unsure of whether i should actually be doing film. im sure most of my failure is due to bad time management and organisation, but not having learnt anything in the first year made me an even worse procrastinator this year. i am into films, but have absolutely no idea of what i want to do when i come out of it (at this rate im srsly looking to get a third if anything), which isn;t making me want to stay any more than i have. i don;t just want to be another media-studies-type who-has-no-clue-of-what-to-do. im at least thinking i should have a practical course so i could have learnt some field experience.

been thinking of not returning to uea in jan and applying to (wait for it...) london south bank uni for an urban and environmental planning ba.

yeh, i know its not the best university but ive been really interested (read: slightly obsessed) in cities for a good few years now, reading about them more than i ever have about film. i reckon the course there would be pretty good from what ive been reading. and at least with the urban planning ba i could see where i am gonna end up, in a field that im genuinely passionate about. plus planners are apparently in high demand in this country, which is a bonus.

now norwich is a nice place, but i wish i'd chosen london to begin with (its some what of a mecca for someone like me coming from a v isolated small town who loves big cities). back in the day when first applying for a degree i was gonna do human geography, but then chose to do film. v nearly chose to go to london. norwich the place, the subject im studying, and people (friends im hangin out with who probs arnt the best influence) here all have associations of just..well failure, in terms of academia, and im getting more and more demotivated about my course.

i realise that id have to fund the last year on my own as i'd already have used up two years of loan, and the max you can get if four, rite?

anyone been on or doing this course there atm?

and please, save me the lsbu ****ging, i know its probably pretty poor by comparison but the course and department look good.

thanks

ReputationRep:
    I think it's actually the first year you'd have to fund yourself, then get funding for second and third ... but the jist is the same, you'll have to fund a year by yourself. You'll also have to contact student finance to sort of what to do with the money you already have; they won't ask for it all back, but might ask for what remains back and definitely won't pay anymore. Different people report different solutions.

Won't be ****ging off LSBU - it's accredited by the RTPI so will set you in good stead, planners are in need and it's not a popular degree, and you're interested in it. Plus, you want to go to London, so it all sounds great. You will need to get onto the application pretty quickly; if you sort out your end over Christmas and contact the person you want as referee as soon as you can, you can hopefully have it in by January 15th.

ReputationRep:
    = mass/volume

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the reply. when searching for urban planning courses on ucas i saw that ucl did a couple. didn't bother to check them out because i thought no way in hell will i be able to get in. turns out i have better a level grades than they're asking for, so if i do go through with this will defo apply there (would be quite a contrast between ucl n lsbu). but what im wondering, what with them insisting on interviews for admissions (which is fair enough) what will they make of my 1-year-and-a-bit (academically speaking) wasted at uea? will they probe as to why i think it turned out the way it did? i hope i could talk my socks of as to what ive learnt and what i'd do differently next time round (i certainly know in my head) but i don't know if that would be enough..

any one got any advice for ucl interviews, especially if they're applying their after having left/failed at another uni?

cheers

ps is there anyway to change the title of the thread? would be useful to change it to something like ucl interview advice. or do i have to make another thread?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Density)
    thanks for the reply. when searching for urban planning courses on ucas i saw that ucl did a couple. didn't bother to check them out because i thought no way in hell will i be able to get in. turns out i have better a level grades than they're asking for, so if i do go through with this will defo apply there (would be quite a contrast between ucl n lsbu). but what im wondering, what with them insisting on interviews for admissions (which is fair enough) what will they make of my 1-year-and-a-bit (academically speaking) wasted at uea? will they probe as to why i think it turned out the way it did? i hope i could talk my socks of as to what ive learnt and what i'd do differently next time round (i certainly know in my head) but i don't know if that would be enough..

any one got any advice for ucl interviews, especially if they're applying their after having left/failed at another uni?

cheers

ps is there anyway to change the title of the thread? would be useful to change it to something like ucl interview advice. or do i have to make another thread?
    Bear in mind only one of the UCL ones is accredited (UPDM, although you can switch from urban studies to it until the final year, I believe.) UCL give you a lot of advice for applying on their website as well, so take note of it.

I've never heard of an interview putting you on the defensive, especially in a group interview which I think it is. Just saying that you realised that the future you want to have isn't in film, and focus on why urban planning is for you.

And yes, there is - at the bottom of your original post is an 'Edit' button. Click it, then 'Go Advanced', then you can edit your title (maybe just add 'UCL interview advice' as opposed to change it all, unless you've decided about quitting?) and make sure you 'Save Changes'.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.