Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sprain, Fracture or Break? Hospital Trip?? Watch

Yesterday afternoon I fell down a step and landed funny on my foot.
    I've looked online and I've decided that either I've Jones fractured it, or sprained it.. I don't think it's broken as I can't see any dodgy parts which a break would cause.
    I can move and stand on it, rest does help but makes it stiff and when I move there's sudden pain which hurts quite alot. I also can't bend one of my toes (the one next to the little one.. the others will go in when I tense and nothing in that area hurts but that one toe won't move).
    There is pain in general, when I move about and move my foot around but it isn't like I can't do it.. it hasn't exactly gotten better from last night when it was strapped up to tonight but has gotten better since the incident occurred. I also managed to walk around Sainsbury/Tesco last night (:

I can't go to the hospital until tomorrow and I'm just wondering if it's worth going at all.

Thanks

(Original post by Anonymous)
      I've looked online and I've decided that either I've Jones fractured it, or sprained it.. I don't think it's broken as I can't see any dodgy parts which a break would cause.
      I can move and stand on it, rest does help but makes it stiff and when I move there's sudden pain which hurts quite alot. I also can't bend one of my toes (the one next to the little one.. the others will go in when I tense and nothing in that area hurts but that one toe won't move).
      There is pain in general, when I move about and move my foot around but it isn't like I can't do it.. it hasn't exactly gotten better from last night when it was strapped up to tonight but has gotten better since the incident occurred. I also managed to walk around Sainsbury/Tesco last night (:

I can't go to the hospital until tomorrow and I'm just wondering if it's worth going at all.

Thanks
      From what you are saying I wouldn't bother.
      You don't sound like you meet the criteria for an X-0ray (which isnt to say someone wouldnt do one anyway) and its improving + you can walk on it.

More likely to be ligament sprains.

General advice is take painkillers, gentle mobilising but certainly go to your doctors if pain or problems persist or you feel its not improving.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Anonymous)

Thanks
      I can't bend that one anyway. It's just the pain thats making you think you've done something to that toe. You'll be alright, just rest it.

ReputationRep:
      I wouldn't bother for anything that seems to be a sprain, which to me s anything but rolling about in agony/being unable to walk. Try taping it for a few days, and if it doesn't improve see a doctor.

ReputationRep:
      My mum did something similar to you recently and it turned out she broke a bone in her foot, so if it's really painful then it might be worth getting it checked out.

ReputationRep:
      I did something like this and ignored it.
      Long story short, I got gangrene and my leg came off....

(Original post by Arcanine)
      I can't bend that one anyway. It's just the pain thats making you think you've done something to that toe. You'll be alright, just rest it.
      The toe usually bends though.

ReputationRep:
      I wouldnt say it is broken seeing as if it were you would be completly immobilised and in such pain that you wouldnt be tapping away on the pc. I would say its a sprain or a minor fracture. You should take a paracetemol and maybe if possible use a heat patch if it is a sprain this may fix it. But be carefull. I would say see a doctor at least if you dont want to go to the hospital. My knee got a good bashing yeara ago and about 3 years on it still gives me trouble today. When I walk it kind of goes like "woah" and I. Tend to verge on falling over.

Just rest and take a paracetemol for pain. But get checked

ReputationRep:
      Why do people think there is a difference between a fracture and a break? Medically the terms are interchangeable, but one sounds more technical than the other.

Anyway, if you are able to weight bear and can move it, there's unlikely to be any serious damage going on. Give it a few days, with some painkillers, ice and gentle mobilisation, and if it's not better go to GP/WIC.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 20, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.