This discussion is closed.
Ollie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
If i am making a website full of pictures, is it legal to

1. let ppl download the pictures for free that i have made (resized, add bits etc) but which feature people, logos or other peoples artwork.

2. am i allowed to do the above if they pay me?

many thanks!
EI_123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ollie)

1. let ppl download the pictures for free that i have made (resized, add bits etc) but which feature people, logos or other peoples artwork.

many thanks!
If you drawn the pictures you have all the right to do whatever you want with them. If you want to give them for free is your choice.

What do you mean with made (resized, add bits)?
To own the copyrights you must drawn it ALL, you can't use a 'base' gfx done by anybody else.

Well, you can have troubles, you would be doing something like what the rappers do to music.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ollie)

many thanks!
If you own the copyright then you can do what you want with it. If not then tecnicaly its ilegal if you do not have permision from the copyright holder.

Also if you have photos of people then technicaly you should get their permision too.
Ollie
Rep:
?
(Original post by amazingtrade)
If you own the copyright then you can do what you want with it. If not then tecnicaly its ilegal if you do not have permision from the copyright holder.

Also if you have photos of people then technicaly you should get their permision too.
i take pictures from or logos (that are not mine!) and resize them, possibly colour them, add names etc... then host them and provide wap access so ppl can get cool backgrounds for free.

is that legal?

i doubt companies which charge for this have asked jonny wilkinson whether he minds and i bet they didnt take the photos in the 1st place.
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I don't know why I answer...
Ollie
Rep:
?
(Original post by Eternal Idol)
I don't know why I answer...
:confused:
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ollie)
i take pictures from or logos (that are not mine!) and resize them, possibly colour them, add names etc... then host them and provide wap access so ppl can get cool backgrounds for free.

is that legal?

i doubt companies which charge for this have asked jonny wilkinson whether he minds and i bet they didnt take the photos in the 1st place.
Yes its ilegal without permsion especialy if its somthing like McDonalds. If you are doing it for educational purposes most companies will let you off. For pleasure or business they will be much tougher. It depends what the logos are really. Its ilegal but you will probably get away with it if you understand what I am saying.
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ollie)
:confused:
It's always the same (not only in this forum), I'm getting tired of answering the computing questions and never get a reply.
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ollie)
i did reply :confused:
No, you didn't reply to me... but it's ok, no be bothered by this.

I'm not gonna reply anymore, I get paid to fix IT real problems and I must give up the free charge help.
Ollie
Rep:
?

I'm not gonna reply anymore, I get paid to fix IT real problems and I must give up the free charge help.
ok, thats fine, can anyone else help?

what i really want to know is

http://www.sms-pictures.co.uk/t68/index.php

on that site for example, what did they pay to use those pictures. how are they allowed to make money from it? and would i be able to do the same but for free?
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ollie)
ok, thats fine, can anyone else help?

what i really want to know is

http://www.sms-pictures.co.uk/t68/index.php

on that site for example, what did they pay to use those pictures. how are they allowed to make money from it? and would i be able to do the same but for free?
OK, but I've already answered all your big questions in my first post.
BossLady
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

Hmm someones a little moody...

Anyway Ollie... If you made the pictures, took the photos they are yours to use however you like, selling them or whatever. But if somebody else made the original, or took the original, even if you edit it or use just a portion of it in ur own creation, it still belongs to them (well unless they are like freeware or something), so you cant make dosh from em, w/o asking for their permission.

For the co's/ppl taking jonny wilko's pics and doing stuff with em, well it isn't really allowed unless they asked jonny's permission. However they'll get in trouble mainly when they are using it for commercial purposes rather than some kind of personal site.
Ollie
Rep:
?
OK, but I've already answered all your big questions in my first post.
yes but they wernt my pictures that i used to start with. how do that site get theirs?
BossLady
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
oooo maybe they nicked em?! Or maybe they have some kind of agreement with the owner. Are they selling them?
Ollie
Rep:
?
(Original post by BossLady)
oooo maybe they nicked em?! Or maybe they have some kind of agreement with the owner. Are they selling them?
yeah, all kind of pictures, they cant surely of contacted all of them!!!

so can i do what i want with other ppls pics as long as i dont charge for them?
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ollie)
yeah, all kind of pictures, they cant surely of contacted all of them!!!

so can i do what i want with other ppls pics as long as i dont charge for them?
Yes. As long as you don't make it too big as it were. A well known Avatar site is taken down because of using other peoples materials. This is as it got sooo busy.
Ollie
Rep:
?
(Original post by 2776)
Yes. As long as you don't make it too big as it were. A well known Avatar site is taken down because of using other peoples materials. This is as it got sooo busy.
so how do these sites get permission to post these pictures?
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ollie)
so how do these sites get permission to post these pictures?
They don't.
Ollie
Rep:
?
(Original post by 2776)
They don't.
so if a large company that charges alot of money wants to do it, then i should be ok, esp. if im not charging
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Where are you sourcing you're original images from? If they're from websites contact the webmaster, if they're from books/magazines contact the publisher.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (386)
67.13%
No (189)
32.87%

Watched Threads