The Student Room Group

How many pressies do your parents give you?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
It would vary but not that much. You get 30-40 from your parents alone?

:rofl: that's what I came here to post!

OP, even 10 presents sounds like a lot!! Though, wait... do you include stockings? My mum insists on making me one still and in that there is ALWAYS 2 nectarines, a magazine, a bag of chocolate coins, a Freddo, a Flump, some kind of mini puzzle thing, some socks and probably some other junky stuff. So that's about 10 presents in one thing :P
Reply 241
Original post by CookieDoughLove
Aw that sounds lovely! I did the same thing to my Dad, I told him I couldn't afford much this year with me being at uni, and he said I know I know I tell you every year not to spend much. But actually i've managed to buy just as much as any other year, so I reckon he'll be mega chuffed with his mass amount of Christmas bags :woo: I love seeing his face on Christmas day!

What have you got him? Genuinely intrigued, I'm finding it hard to think of 1 present for my dad, let alone 30-40!
I've never counted and never will! I'd feel awful if I came into a room and found someone counting the things I'd bought them :frown:

My brother and I are very lucky though. We appreciate everything we're given and I'm always so grateful for what I receive. This year I wanted to spoil my mum a bit, so I've been really careful with my student loan in order to sort of 'repay' her a bit for everything. I feel guilty getting her something small when she goes to so much effort for me and my brother, so this year I thought, I'm 19, I'm living on my own, so I took responsibility for the gift-buying for myself and my brother and bought her a top, perfume (which came with SO many nice little extras), a DVD boxset, nice winter pyjamas and a torque from eBay. She'll be horrified when she sees it all and will tell me I've been silly, but I'm quite a savvy shopper and know how to spot a bargain :wink:

Oh my, bit of a lifestory. In summary: NO IDEA but to be honest, I wouldn't mind at all if I only got one. It's not really about that, and besides, I prefer buying presents for others than receiving them (genuinely).
Reply 243
5 at the most.
Actually mostly money.
Reply 244
Lol I only get one
I get what I ask for (obviously within reason) then any money that's left over from the £150 budget I have.

this year I got a Glee Live ticket for £50, then I bought stuff with the £100 and my mum wrapped it, haha.
about 3...
Lol 30 - 40? Exaggeration much? You'd be there all day unwrapping those things.
we dont really do big christmases in our family, instead i'm bought things throughout the year and get told 'thats for christmas' which more often works out way more expensive! eg, this year my horse needed a new saddle, i paid some of it and had the last £600 as a present, and to even things out my brother is getting £600 to put towards a car. Other than that i'll probably get about 5 presents under the tree, little things like a new watch, pyjamas, tops, shoes etc, and chocolate and little stocking fillers. My brother will probably have more spent, which really doesnt concern me because my parents just decorated my bedroom for me and help me pay for my horse, and pay my brothers rent at uni, and will do mine when i go too.

We're not what i'd call a rich family, althoguh i suppose maybe if we didn't spend so much we might be!!!

and to whoever said those getting lots of presents dont care about religion thats not true. We wont go to church, but that doesn't mean that i wont sit and think about the meaning of christmas...

ETA i really wouldn't mind if i didn't get anything for christmas, and i genuinely mean that. For me christmas isn't about the presents at all - i'm lucky that my parents support me with my horse which is a year round christmas present, and i ADORE christmas shopping and watching others open their presents. The best part of christmas day for me is heading down to see my horse on christmas day morning, seeing my friends down there and exchanging gifts with them - giving my horse his present :redface: and spending time with my family
(edited 13 years ago)
I get 1. Not main, no stocking fillers, just the one. Or money in place of the present. :indiff: Still wouldn't swap my parents for the world. :eviltongue:
My brain can't even comprehend what these 40 presents could be. Within a whole year, I doubt if I could point to everything I've bought myself and been bought and add up 40 things. :s-smilie:
I can't even think of 30 things I could ask for!
My list only has 3 things on this year (a perfume, a box set, and a new towel hair turban :rolleyes:). I've got more things then I asked for under the tree at the moment; I've probably got like 15 total from my parents?
And then I just get a cheque as per usual.
I get nothing. :sad:
Probably one from each of my parents. There's not much I want really.
my mum will usually get me a book i want, or something. i don't really want any more than that i feel awkward opening presents.
also, everyone calling OP spoilt or whatever, are probably jealous and therefore more materialistic than they'd like you to believe. The girl clearly thinks the world of her dad and i think it's sweet they like to give each other that much. stop hating, it's Christmas time :wink:
Reply 256
The OP is an only child, as she states in this thread. I think its easier to buy loads if you only have one to buy for.I already know what my mum has got me for christmas this year because my brother has brought it, my mum is too ill to do christmas shopping.
Reply 257
I just have money unless i speak to them about something i want. I prefer it that way then i can get something i definetly want.
Original post by EskimoJo
My brain can't even comprehend what these 40 presents could be. Within a whole year, I doubt if I could point to everything I've bought myself and been bought and add up 40 things. :s-smilie:

I get about the same as the OP and around 10-15 of my presents are books and DVDs (usually quite cheap) so the number does add up pretty quickly! :smile:

(p.s. I don't actually count my presents, this is a guess)
i usually get one main present (e.g. an ipod) and about 10 smaller ones to open (e.g. books, dvds, clothes, etc) from my parents...
i don't think it really matters "how many" you get compared to other people if i'm honest.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending