Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

False sense of achievement/significance people have! Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I just looked at a thread about why blacks apparently shouldn't be proud to be black (obviously a troll). Anyway it got me thinking, why do people have this false sense of achievement and significance because they happen to be part of a certain group i.e an ethnicity, nationality, region, religion, age group/era etc........

By this I mean why do people say "I'm proud to be such and such nationality, because we have accomplished so much or invented so much". Well no you haven't accomplished anything! When a person invents something, this is their own achievement. They did the work on their own and they just happen to be the same nationality as you. But this doesn't give you the right to free load on their work.

The same with supporting football teams. Like when people say "oh we have won the league so many times". Really? I can't remeber seeing your name on the team roster!

Another example of this would be snobby rich kids. I knew this girl in school that used to think she was great because her family was rich. And she used to walk about with this false sense of significance as if to say "look at all the money i've made, I'm better than you". I just felt like saying to her: No you self righteous ****, you have never even had a job! You haven't made a ****ing penny in your life. Get off your high horse and get a grip!

The one that annoys me the most though is when people say they have more right to be in a country because they were born there. Or their ancestors all came from that country. So ****ing what? You were born there by chance. You never achieved this. Infact most of the people that say this usually haven't achieved anything, yet they still have this false sense of 'right' to live in that country. And those that weren't born in that country have less 'right' than them. Even if they had came to that country and accomplished more that the self righteous **** will ever achieve. Or when people say "my grandad fought in ww2". Yeah exactly your grandad fought in ww2, you didn't. Stop trying to make out that you are some sort of war hero. The closest thing these people have seen to war is playing CoD on the Playstation/xbox.

Sorry I'm ranting.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, yes you are.

ReputationRep:
    yup

ReputationRep:
    People collectively identify, as well as individually. This is just human nature.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)
    People collectively identify, as well as individually. This is just human nature.
    Yeah I know. But it just irritates me when people become big headed because of it. And then start to use it as an argument or excuse to be a prick.

ReputationRep:
    Because people have tribal minds.

ReputationRep:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 19, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.