Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How likely am I to be accepted for architecture in Glasgow School of Art? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Over the past year, I have been working towards getting into Glasgow School of Art to study architecture. I've had the intention of studying architecture for a while, now, and I intend on being admitted this year. However, I'm just getting worked up with the application process, and all the uncertainties. I've seen this site before, but never made an account. So - here I am. I'll begin listing all the things that've been troubling me.

- My qualifications: GSA states you need higher level grades at ABBB. I have my max higher grades at ABB. However, I also have about 4 C's. Would these count towards anything? Also, my A at higher was in Art and Design. I later took that at advanced higher, and got a C. How does this work into my grades? Does the C in adv. higher count more/equal to/less than the A at higher, and does having the advanced higher grade "take over" the higher on (for want of a better phrase)?

-My 10 pieces: GSA requires a maximum of 10 pieces to be presented at an interview. This year has been a complicated year, in terms of education. To cut a long story short, last year, I had intended on studying Painting & Printmaking, due to pressure from my old art teacher. I applied, and wasn't accepted. I was going to reapply this year. However, with my dad's admittance to hospital, I had a rethink of my future, and reverted back to my initial intention of studying architecture. Without being at a school or a course this year, the work I've created has been from what I think would be suitable. However, I'm not an interviewer, and I'm not sure on what to include. My work so far is:-
    -A design of a large country house (American style) with a few Google Sketchup CADs, along with a miniature model - roughly 5x6x6cm - and a larger model - roughly 15x25x25cm - both made from strawboard. I've also drawn a few floor plans, and rough sketches, with a detailed sketch to follow.

-A design for a large office building (25 floors) based on the Japanese art of origami. I have developed a few research sheets supporting it, including similar buildings, and examples of inspiration, along with a few sketches and detailed drawings.

-A design for housing on the River Clyde suitable for students and young families, created while in 5th at secondary school. Includes detailed drawings, initial sketches, research and development sheets, initial models, and finished model.

-I have taken work experience this year in an architects/interior design office, and I've left with knowledge of the business, the company, and designs of a basement remodeling, which includes Microstation and Sketchup CADs, along with scale drawings (floor plans and side elevations) and one- and two-point sketches. I have also done likewise with a small project in the office involving the main entrance to a theatre due to go under construction in China, the Huangshan Theatre, and a small reception plan I designed one lunchtime which I decided to make something of.

-At the beginning of the year, I was in a portfolio preparation course for Painting & Printmaking, where we were to compose a sketchbook of our ideas, and follow the idea of a journey, and create work based around that idea. As I left the course early, due to switching my focus to architecture and to concentrate more on that, my sketchbook is still a work in progress, but still contains come substantial work, along with photographs of some larger pieces.

-As a slightly similar point, I compiled ~20 sheets for my application to GSA for Painting, which I have since recovered. The sheets included final paintings/drawings, along with sketchbook ideas. Although not to do with architecture, would these be a suitable display of my creative processes?

-Although I haven't started yet, I plan on writing a comparative essay on two architects, one historical and one contemporary, and compare their styles.

-Lastly, I intend on studying a particular style of architecture from my local area (Glasgow), and create some sketches and detail drawings, and note the similarities.

Sorry for the wall of text! Never intended on going into so much detail, but at least that's everything.

Really, what I'm asking is do you think that what I have/intend on doing would be adequate for my application to GSA? If not, what do you think I could include and extend upon?

Sorry, my mind's just been troubling me - felt that writing it down would help.
    Thanks in advance for any help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Condooo)
    Over the past year, I have been working towards getting into Glasgow School of Art to study architecture. I've had the intention of studying architecture for a while, now, and I intend on being admitted this year. However, I'm just getting worked up with the application process, and all the uncertainties. I've seen this site before, but never made an account. So - here I am. I'll begin listing all the things that've been troubling me.

- My qualifications: GSA states you need higher level grades at ABBB. I have my max higher grades at ABB. However, I also have about 4 C's. Would these count towards anything? Also, my A at higher was in Art and Design. I later took that at advanced higher, and got a C. How does this work into my grades? Does the C in adv. higher count more/equal to/less than the A at higher, and does having the advanced higher grade "take over" the higher on (for want of a better phrase)?

-My 10 pieces: GSA requires a maximum of 10 pieces to be presented at an interview. This year has been a complicated year, in terms of education. To cut a long story short, last year, I had intended on studying Painting & Printmaking, due to pressure from my old art teacher. I applied, and wasn't accepted. I was going to reapply this year. However, with my dad's admittance to hospital, I had a rethink of my future, and reverted back to my initial intention of studying architecture. Without being at a school or a course this year, the work I've created has been from what I think would be suitable. However, I'm not an interviewer, and I'm not sure on what to include. My work so far is:-
    -A design of a large country house (American style) with a few Google Sketchup CADs, along with a miniature model - roughly 5x6x6cm - and a larger model - roughly 15x25x25cm - both made from strawboard. I've also drawn a few floor plans, and rough sketches, with a detailed sketch to follow.

-A design for a large office building (25 floors) based on the Japanese art of origami. I have developed a few research sheets supporting it, including similar buildings, and examples of inspiration, along with a few sketches and detailed drawings.

-A design for housing on the River Clyde suitable for students and young families, created while in 5th at secondary school. Includes detailed drawings, initial sketches, research and development sheets, initial models, and finished model.

-I have taken work experience this year in an architects/interior design office, and I've left with knowledge of the business, the company, and designs of a basement remodeling, which includes Microstation and Sketchup CADs, along with scale drawings (floor plans and side elevations) and one- and two-point sketches. I have also done likewise with a small project in the office involving the main entrance to a theatre due to go under construction in China, the Huangshan Theatre, and a small reception plan I designed one lunchtime which I decided to make something of.

-At the beginning of the year, I was in a portfolio preparation course for Painting & Printmaking, where we were to compose a sketchbook of our ideas, and follow the idea of a journey, and create work based around that idea. As I left the course early, due to switching my focus to architecture and to concentrate more on that, my sketchbook is still a work in progress, but still contains come substantial work, along with photographs of some larger pieces.

-As a slightly similar point, I compiled ~20 sheets for my application to GSA for Painting, which I have since recovered. The sheets included final paintings/drawings, along with sketchbook ideas. Although not to do with architecture, would these be a suitable display of my creative processes?

-Although I haven't started yet, I plan on writing a comparative essay on two architects, one historical and one contemporary, and compare their styles.

-Lastly, I intend on studying a particular style of architecture from my local area (Glasgow), and create some sketches and detail drawings, and note the similarities.

Sorry for the wall of text! Never intended on going into so much detail, but at least that's everything.

Really, what I'm asking is do you think that what I have/intend on doing would be adequate for my application to GSA? If not, what do you think I could include and extend upon?

Sorry, my mind's just been troubling me - felt that writing it down would help.
    Thanks in advance for any help!
    I would post this in the Architecture section of the forum.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=256

Make sure that your portfolio is the best that you can make it because this is the most significant part of the application (I'm also applying for K100)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.